The Tractor Trailer Driver is responsible for safely operating a tractor trailer to provide prompt and courteous delivery and removal of large containers. A Tractor Trailer Driver is responsible for ensuring his or her vehicle is in compliance with the Company’s safety standards prior to operating the vehicle, ensures that all Company, state and federal regulations are adhered to at all times while operating the vehicle, and completes daily vehicle inspection reports (“DVIR's”) on a daily basis to ensure that any vehicle defects are repaired in a timely manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the vehicle in accordance with Company policy to ensure tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges, and controls are in proper working order. Report any safety issues on standard reports.
- Safely operate his or her heavy truck, tractor or trailer along designated route, customer locations and to the disposal site; read route sheet, follow map and service each customer as identified on the route sheet or as assigned by the dispatcher and/or supervisor.
- Operate manual and/or automatic controls in accordance with Company safety policies and procedures to lift and load refuse, operate compactor and dispose of collected material at the designated facility.
- Courteously interact with all customers, dispatchers and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
- Perform minor repairs to containers on site or in the container yard.
- Identify unsatisfactory waste containers and tag containers in accordance with applicable departmental procedures.
- Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste.
- Clean area around an accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
- Continuously monitor the condition of the vehicle to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize down time; clean waste from the container and container edges on each disposal trip.
- Complete required route/productivity sheets, DVIRs and other reports, as required.
- Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a timely and efficient manner.
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
Perform other job-related duties as assigned. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Clean Class A Commercial Driver’s license with air brakes endorsement
- Valid DOT physical card
- Two years experience driving commercial or heavy trucks
- Able to read and write legibly
- Able to comply with company policy on controlled substances and alcohol
- Positive safety record
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Commitment to customer service
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong time management skills
For more information on Life at Modern, visit http://www.moderncorporation.com/careers/