HVAC Design Associate
For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are looking to fill the position of HVAC Design Associate within our plumbing and mechanical engineering department. The ideal candidate will work with the Professional Engineer and design team to define system requirements and create project and installation plans, taking part in creating practical solutions to complex mechanical systems. This person loves a challenge, has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic and is looking to make an impact, develop their talent, hone their craft and be a part of Jamar’s industry-leading team of experts.
Job Summary: The HVAC Design Associate participates in the development and creation of detailed mechanical engineering drawings for new build HVAC systems or the adaptation of existing systems. This position, under the direction of the Professional Engineer or designee, consults with the project team to determine heating and cooling needs, develop project plans and installation estimates and creates installation plans.
- Two-year HVAC design or architectural design degree or equivalent in design/drafting experience
- At least one year’s experience in design/drafting
- Familiarity with/exposure to the mechanical design of HVAC and plumbing building systems, including drawings, specifications and required standards.
- Familiarity with Autodesk Revit software functionality for Building Information Modeling (BIM); working knowledge is a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner and consistent with our values and mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the PE and design team, create heating and cooling systems and their controls; assist with preparing engineering design load and calculations, HVAC system layouts, and design documentation.
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, construction plans and schematics, and computer-generated reports; confer with engineers and project managers to produce required system layouts.
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems; calculates ventilation requirements, recommends design modifications to eliminate system malfunctions and ensure compliance to product specifications.
- Assist Estimator in submitting bids for engineering/commercial construction projects and preparing proposal/contract documents; helps determine costs for heating and cooling systems and write up detailed budget estimates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to schedule/coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines
- Ability to read and understand technical documents, symbols, and industrial process and apply this knowledge to drawings.
- Ability to analyze and make decisions.
- Effective communication skills – oral, written, and presentation.
- Effective organization skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain a team environment; attend and participate in team/department communication meetings.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
- Willingness to keep current with continuing education as necessary.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- Reflective Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment