What we’re looking for
Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors (MMC) is looking for a Project Accountant to join our driven and dedicated team. With over 300,000 mechanical contracting projects completed and over 50 years of experience, we aim to hire the industry’s top talent.
The concept of the Project Accountant (PA) role at MMC is a 360-degree approach to all aspects of accounting. This position plays a role in the following: project set up, accounts payable, billing and invoicing (accounts receivable), collections, payroll, and project close-out. This concept allows the PA to understand how their work impacts all areas of a project and they serve as the go-to person for the Project Managers to which they are assigned.
Primary job functions and responsibilities include:
- Ensure projects are set up correctly (i.e. taxable status, estimated margin)
- Obtain budgets for the projects and enter into COINS
- Hold pre-billing meeting with Project Manager to ensure billing deadlines are met and obtain understanding of customer’s requirements for the billing
- Scan, post, and review invoices related to their projects
- Ensure proper use tax is accrued on the invoices
- Review to ensure a 2-way match with the PO and invoice
- Investigate situations where the invoice exceeds the PO
Billing/Invoicing the Customer
- Prepare job billings for Project Manager to review prior to contractual deadlines, ensure billings are properly sent by contractual deadlines
- Accuracy extremely important for project billings
- Review listing of unbilled work order costs weekly and push the Project Managers to bill timely
- Review collections report weekly and follow up on collections
- Involve Project Manager as necessary
- Follow/track retention through payment
- Complete proper paperwork timely to ensure timely payment
You also meet most (if not all) of the following requirements:
- 2+ years of AR and/or AP experience required
- Construction industry specific experience strongly preferred
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Demonstrable ability to work well with others
- Demonstrable ability work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines and changing priorities
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion.
- Positive “can do” attitude
Why work at MMC?
Building Your Future is How We Build Ours. At MMC, we hire the industry’s brightest talent and we invest in our team. We provide an empowering environment in which employees can realize their full potential and take ownership of their career development. We are passionate about how we achieve great outcomes together for our customers, and for each other.
We Work As a Team. MMC fosters a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement. We operate as a team to design, build and maintain complex mechanical systems for some of the most well-known buildings in the Midwest.
- 401(K) match
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Employee Stock Option Program
- Flexible work environment
- Incentives for environmentally-friendly behavior
- Company events including volunteer and wellness activities, holiday parties, sporting events, and casual employee get-togethers ranging from summer grill outs to local happy hours.
MMC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Our programs are designed to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, directives and regulations and cover all human resource actions including employment, compensation, benefits, training, education, tuition aid, transfers, promotions and social/recreational programs.