For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are looking to fill the position of Project Assistant within our plumbing and mechanical engineering department. This role will partner with others on the commercial team to provide responsive solutions to enhance the overall function of the department and provide support as needed, where needed, to the construction group bringing anything from small remodeling to very large construction projects to successful completion. The ideal candidate will have the desire to master construction concepts and the ability to succeed in a highly competitive, collaborative and productive project team. This person loves a challenge, has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic and is looking to make an impact, develop their talent, hone their craft and be a part of Jamar’s industry-leading team of experts.
- Technical or undergraduate degree in construction management, HVAC design, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering or a related field; or a minimum of two years’ experience working in mechanical systems, construction or a related industry.
- Exhibit technical aptitude and advanced computer skills including MS Office (excel, word, power point), ability to learn Bluebeam. iPhone and iPad experience helpful.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to learn/have knowledge of mechanical HVAC and plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of blueprint reading and the integration of the multiple buildings systems.
- Desire to master construction concepts, bring every project to successful conclusion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills; ability to schedule/coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines
- Valid State Driver’s license, and able to travel to project sites.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide support to Project Managers and Department Manager as required; includes project analysis and compliance, document control, coordinate and attend meetings, help estimating team, promote safety and a safe work environment, etc.
- Research and understand technical engineering information to ensure projects comply with all engineering standards, codes, specification and design instructions.
- Assist in evaluation and help identify solutions of potential field issues, referring them to a Project Manager for final submission and documentation.
- Assist in plan and spec analysis to provide clear, trackable and coordinated interpretations of the design/drawings for construction.
- Understand and perform document control functions in accordance with on-site policy and procedures, including tracking and creating of RFI’s, transmitting and tracking of submittals, and assistance to field personnel with document follow-through.
- Research and recommend creative solutions to design document problems, including conflicts, interferences and errors/omissions.
- Assists in document and progress tracking throughout the duration of projects.
- Participate in the continuous updating and accurate generation of as-built documents.
- Assist with the research and preparation of field change requests to resolve design issues.
- Attend project coordination and owner/contractor/architect/engineer meetings as required.
- Work with estimating team to complete take-offs and help support the proposal process as needed.
- Support the departments Standard Operating Processes (SOP’s) and ensure they are followed in all work performed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle a fast paced, busy work environment while maintaining a positive demeanor.
- Ability and desire to succeed in a highly competitive but collaborative ever-changing environment; able to work as a positive, contributing member of a team.
- Focus on continuous improvement through continuing education and on-the-job learning opportunities; supports team goals and a safe working environment.
- Customer service oriented. Highly motivated, willing to take the initiative. Focus on details.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant and/or customer environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience