Salary Range: DOQ
Innovation is core to the success of Hampton Roads Transit (HRT). The Technology Department’s role is integral in supporting the advancement of mobility in the region by expanding into new areas of IT and incorporating new technology areas in support of the vision and mission of HRT. The CIO/CTO’s primary role is to make sure that technology is working throughout the agency and he/she will serve as a consultant and advisor to all departments of HRT in order to assure collaborative efforts are made towards the common goals of the agency’s technology objectives.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Provides leadership in the successful implementation of transit-specific and all other information technology throughout all modes of the organization’s transit – bus, ferry, light rail and paratransit.
- Serves as the company’s top technology infrastructure manager.
- Develops and manages the agency technology security program.
- Responsible for developing and adhering to security procedures for user access to HRT systems.
- Protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
- Establishes governance and regulatory compliance processes of direction and control to ensure that agency and departmental technology objectives are achieved.
- Establishes Technology policies, standards, practices and security measures to ensure effective and consistent information processing operations and to safeguard information resources.
- Builds an IT strategy that tightly aligns/connects with the agency business strategy. Develop, implement and maintain a long-range staffing, hardware, operating systems, data networking and security plans that meet the strategic and growth needs of the business and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Oversees all technology of the agency as it pertains to resources, funding, capital and expense budgeting, development, implementation, maintenance and training.
- Maintains a general working knowledge of all in-house transit applications and enhancements.
- Management of the overall agency technology budget and fiscal responsibilities around technology defining the strategy around recruiting, budgets and other departmental expenditures.
- Administers the department’s operating budget, within budgetary guidelines to contribute to cost-effective operation of the agency.
- Lead organization in anticipating and reacting to major transit and technology changes.
- Creates and manages the agency’s Technology Capital Improvement Plan and administers associated federal and state grants.
- Implements and manages all HRT Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) transit technologies and ensures inclusion and management of HRT ITS projects within the Hampton Roads regional ITS Strategic Plan.
- Maintains quality assurance and currency for all transit Enterprise Application systems implementations and development.
- Has a strong background in business processes, technologies and systems that support best-in-class operations including high volume and high availability environments.
- Experience leading large-scale network deployment and optimization projects
- Develop and maintain a communication system for the agency, including network infrastructure, wide area connectivity, etc.
- Experience leading and motivating teams, including providing direction, coaching and giving effective feedback to team members.
- Focuses on both internal and external customers.
- Communicates the agency’s technology strategy to the Board, management, staff, customers, and stakeholders.
- Works closely with other C-level executives to create strategic plans for the agency’s future growth.
- Remains continuously aware of transit, science and technology trends and “state of the art” technologies required.
- Reviews reports of computer and peripheral equipment utilization, malfunction, and maintenance to ascertain costs and plan operating changes.
- Analyzes department workflow and job duties to recommend reorganization or departmental realignment within the agency.
- Prepares proposals, analysis, programming, computer services and manages all technology-related procurements.
- Supervises and provides technical leadership for Technology staff including responsibility for hiring and evaluations.
- Collaborates and manages vendors that supply infrastructure solutions and that supply solutions to enhance the agency’s business. Acts as primary technical contact with all software vendors.
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, EEO Program, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Responsible for assuring all areas of HRT are committed to continual improvement in environmental performance
- Responsible for support of the development and continued implementation of the overall EMS Program within HRT Technology
- Responsible for participating in the Management Reviews of HRT’s EMS
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
- Strong decision-making, follow-up, follow-through, priority setting, and attention to detail skills are required. Demonstrated ability to practice good judgment required.
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated analytical skills.
- Strong strategic planning skills, leadership skills, interpersonal skills, change management skills.
- Working knowledge of networking, communications, application administration, development, emerging technologies, database management, enterprise system implementation.
- Experience implementing ERP systems.
- Experience working in the fast-changing technology landscape and with the responsibility and the pressure that comes with leading a business to success in this environment.
- Ability to engage in case study analysis to gain insights into real-world business challenges.
- Experience in evaluating technology and business problems and creating manageable solutions.
- Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff.
- Ability to think and act strategically and proactively.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related technological degree. Master’s degree, PMP and Technology Certifications a plus.
- 10-15 years’ experience in managing one or more information technology processing functions (operations, development, etc.).
- Advanced training through technical institutions and/or colleges is also necessary to maintain skills to develop the systems necessary for the company’s success.
- Transit technology experience a must.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
This position is classified as essential personnel. Must be able to pass federal government background screening process for local military installation access.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some overtime.