SIGN ON INCENTIVE!
DART is offering a sign on incentive of $2,000 for ALL newly-hired bus drivers! A Special Sign-On Incentive of $3,000 will be awarded to newly hired drivers that have a Current CDL with Valid endorsements of passenger and airbrakes.
The Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART), the largest public transit agency in Iowa, is hiring part-time drivers.
Give back to the community by providing high-quality transportation for DART passengers through the Downtown and Greater Des Moines Area. Connect riders to their jobs, medical appointments, shopping, entertainment, and more.
If you have a CDL (or CDL permit), airbrake and passenger endorsements (or permits), and customer service experience, you will be fast-tracked through our hiring process. If you don't have a CDL or bus operator experience, you are still encouraged to apply. DART will provide training to those who are a good fit, will pay you while you train, AND will reimburse for obtaining a Commercial Driver's License.
- Must be able to work all shifts: mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
- 21 years of age or older
- Must possess a High School Diploma/GED or equivalent.
- Be able to earn a valid Iowa Commercial Driver's License w/Air Brake and Passenger endorsements.
- Physical exam, drug screen and background check required.
A typical day for a driver at DART includes:
- Signing in on time, locate your assigned bus in the garage and set all route signs.
- Inspecting the bus and perform necessary vehicle checks (tires, gas, oil, lights, etc.)
- Reporting equipment malfunctions to appropriate shop personnel for correction.
- Collecting fares
- Regulate heating, cooling and ventilation systems for passenger comfort.
- Reporting delays, breakdowns, and accidents using two-way radio.
- Submitting written reports of all accidents involving his/her bus.
- Must comply with all local traffic regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of the Greater Des Moines Area
- Ability to understand and navigate the city, suburbs and county streets and landmarks.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors regarding construction, weather, traffic, construction, and trip changes
- Maintain positive public relations with passengers
- Ability to follow direction and established company policies and procedures
- Desire to work with people
- Skill of providing excellent customer service
- Flexible schedule
What DART Offers:
- $2,000 to $3,000 Sign-On Bonus (depending on CDL and endorsement status)
- Health Insurance with an option Health Savings Account that DART contributes to annually
- Dental Coverage
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- 457 (b) Retirement Savings Plan
- I.P.E.R.S. Retirement System
- Company Paid Long Term Disability
- Wellness Center
- Complimentary Buss Pass & discounted family pass
- Annual Uniform Allowance
- Free Annual Wellness Screenings
- B-Cycle Membership
- Discounts on travel, personal care, nutrition, home & family, hearing & vision, fitness, apparel & footwear