Reading Partners VISTA Operations Coordinator (2020-21)
New York, NY
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers and AmeriCorps service members in under-resourced elementary schools. Our dedicated and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization, and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
AmeriCorps/VISTA engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, over 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
The VISTA Operations Coordinator is a key player in achieving Reading Partners’ ambitious strategic vision and goals. This is an exciting opportunity to build capacity within the Reading Partners’ operations department, allowing the organization to better support operational health, implement national initiatives, and serve more students across the nation. Reading Partners VISTA offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles – as a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top VISTA Operations Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for relationship and systems development, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do & how you’ll do it:
Systems and Resource Development - Diagnose, design, and implement scalable systems for knowledge management and best practices.
- Streamlining and improving available systems is a huge responsibility for the VISTA Operations Coordinator. By becoming familiar with existing tracking systems and reporting options, the VISTAOperations Coordinator will identify opportunities for improvement, implement best practices and document metrics for future activities. Additionally, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will lead support on the organizational intranet, including the creation, maintenance, and updating of departmental content.
Organizational Capacity Support - Identify and create project plans to support internal communications, employee onboarding, and other performance dashboards.
- As a part of the operations team, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will lead on identifying, reviewing, and streamlining a variety of organizational initiatives, including internal communications and employee onboarding. The VISTA Operations Coordinator leads on all aspects of the Library, Reading Partners’ internal intranet - this includes creating and updating content for org-wide dissemination, as well as determining how best to share information through development and maintenance of weekly newsletters. Within employee onboarding, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will diagnose gaps in the current onboarding process, identify and propose changes to the process, and develop/update materials as needed through the program year.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Have a strong desire to fight poverty
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to successfully completing a full term term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Are eager for a dynamic schedule
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship building and public speaking
- Have flexibility and adaptability in both work style and work environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Can quickly learn new technology systems like Salesforce, and have a high level of comfort with Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Have not completed more than three (3) prior AmeriCorps or VISTA service terms
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, VISTA, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
What we offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual compensation of $20,584.
- The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles.
- AmeriCorps/VISTA members are eligible for medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify.
- AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $6,095 after successfully completing their service term.
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Service Terms: VISTA members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) for a 12-month, 365-day term. This VISTA member would serve from mid-February, 2020 through mid-February, 2021
- Travel: VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended.
- Orientation: Reading Partners VISTA members attend a virtual VISTA Service Orientation in addition to attending Reading Partners trainings. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training as well.
- Where we serve: This position will serve as a VISTA Operations Coordinator in New York, NY.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.