Classic Industrial Services is dedicated to providing high-quality industrial construction services. We have been in business for over 25 years and our current area of focus includes industrial insulation, scaffolding, siding, and refractory services.
Job Title: Purchasing Agent
Department: Baton Rouge, LA
Reports to: Finance
Management Role: Non- Manager
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for procuring the best quality equipment, goods, and services for the company at the most competitive prices. He/She will negotiate vendor terms, prices and coordinate deliveries, at the time of order, using knowledge of a project’s materials, budget and schedule requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review requisition orders to verify accuracy, terminology and specifications to ensure Classic is procuring the appropriate goods.
- Contact suppliers to schedule or expedite deliveries and resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries and other problems.
- Track the status of requisitions, contracts and orders.
- Prepare & issue purchase orders after confirming specifications, current stock, and price once approval from the requesting party has been received.
- Coordinate shipping activities with external parties
- Reconcile items received in comparison to goods shipped to ensure
- Monitor vendor compliance with purchase order contracts and support resolution of job discrepancies.
- Maintain and review electronic and manual records of items purchased, costs, delivery, product performance, and inventories
- Negotiate favorable terms, conditions, and pricing with vendors.
- Protect the Company against unfair or unethical trade practices and unrealistic or exorbitant price increases.
- Be aware of changes affecting supply and demand, tracking market conditions, price trends, or futures markets.
- Provide value added services to the Company by constantly striving to find new and better products, sources of supply, and better ways of meeting the needs of the using departments while maintaining good relationships with existing suppliers.
- Support monthly cycle counts and monitoring of minimum warehouse stock
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 4+ years experience in purchasing or similar
- High proficiency in MS Word / Excel / Outlook
- Working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased.
- Knowledge of various contract structures for procuring goods and services and the advantages/disadvantages of them.
- Experience with Quantify or similar inventory management system a plus.
Lifting Requirements: Up to 50 lbs.
- Walk (move, traverse) Frequently
- Used hands/fingers to handle or feel (operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, position) Frequently
- Climb (stairs, ladders) or balance (ascend/descend, work atop, traverse) Frequently
- Talk/hear (communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, exchange information) Constantly
- See (detect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate, asses) Constantly
- Reaching: Often
Disclaimer: This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Classic is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing law.