For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are seeking to fill the role of Service Manager with an innovative, self-directed individual looking to work with the leading specialty contractor in the region. The successful candidate has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic, and will lead the service team with a positive and proactive approach. We are looking for applicants who want to make an impact and develop their talents; this is an exciting opportunity for someone with proven experience who is interested in growing their career with Jamar.
Job Summary: Responsible for the overall operation of the HVAC-R/Plumbing Service department. Includes technician leadership and direction, as well as installation/completion of all service and preventive maintenance activities in the highest quality and most effective manner possible. Responsible for manpower related to all service and preventive maintenance work, and coordinating/communicating within the department to assist in other manpower requirements.
- 10+ years of prior field experience or combination of field/office leadership experience
- Working knowledge of service and construction equipment and techniques, drawings and specifications, building materials and required standards applicable to discipline.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products; typing skills necessary.
- Ability to assume responsibility and interface/communicate effectively with others.
- Project management skills required including ability to accurately estimate manpower needs.
- Valid state driver’s license and able to travel as needed for project and department support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure Technicians, Service Coordinator, Service Assistant, Project Managers and general personnel follow and comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and service processes.
- Provide technical expertise for Technicians and office support as required.
- Become expert of the service platform. Embrace/enforce policy and procedures of such.
- Manage customer complaints to provide decisions on disputes.
- Be the point of contact for night and weekend on call scheduling/technical issues.
- Review all work orders and service cycle documents as required.
- Assist with and discuss future manpower needs with the Department Manager, service team and project team.
- Seek out training and growth opportunities for office and field personnel.
- Conduct performance appraisals for direct reports, including field technicians.
- Work with Department Manager to set yearly financial goals and budgets. Set strategic goals and business plan to achieve and maintain or improve upon budgeted EBITA.
- Review monthly and yearly service financial statements with Department Manager and report differences between forecast and actual results.
- Develop tactical goals to develop business for the service department with assistance of Department Manager and other team members. Be bottom line goal orientated.
- Follow and lead company SOP’s and methods.
- Customer account management.
- Estimate service repairs/field quotes/preventive maintenance contracts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop and maintain a collaborative, positive, winning and safe team environment.
- Ability to improve the operational systems, processes and policies within the department. Specifically, improve the complete Service cycle; do so by supporting and promoting Jamar’s Mission, Vision, Values, Employee Operating Code and Commitment to Success.
- Achieve goals and objectives; motivate and inspire team.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner consistent with our mission, vision and values.
- Provide support to all department team members.
- Actively build external and internal relationships for growth and support service and preventive maintenance related opportunities.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment.
- PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment