ASDCO Construction Supply, a part of the Jamar Company, serves the Midwest through locations in Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin. ASDCO delivers a wide range of high quality and innovative products to contractors across multiple markets of the construction industry through dependable and prompt customer service. With a focus on personal and trustworthy service, the ASDCO team has the product and industry knowledge that adds value for customers and supports your simple or complex project needs.
We are looking for a team-oriented, detailed and collaborative Purchasing Specialist to fill a position at either the Duluth or Arden Hills, MN location. This individual will support purchasing and inventory functions necessary to ensure effective operations, including product research duties. This role will assist with vendor relationships in support of the sales and purchasing team, resolves price discrepancies, researches delays for incoming shipments and proactively communicate purchasing information with our customers, vendors and the ASDCO team.
Education / Experience:
- Three to five years’ experience in a customer focused, customer sales and service position, including working knowledge of construction and construction related supplies.
- Purchasing experience in a distribution and/or warehouse setting is preferred.
- Ability to interact professionally with vendors, customers and companywide teams.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and customized business systems.
- Valid state driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to travel as needed to training, vendor follow up appointments, ASDCO branch offices/warehouses, customer locations and jobsites as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work to develop and maintain streamlined processes of purchasing functions and communication flow. Key focus on teamwork and collaboration amongst all branches of ASDCO.
- Responsible to support product research, quality and pricing to best align with company initiatives and customer expectations.
- Supports material ordering, tracking and follow through necessary to ensure product delivery.
- Keeps abreast of and communicates to team on applicable updates and changes as it relates to purchasing processes and procedures, product research and ordering.
- Coordinate with the accounting and collections team to keep aging payables within company guidelines.
- Consistently demonstrates the interpersonal skills necessary to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner, consistent with our values and mission.
- Actively participates in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to analyze and make decisions.
- Willingness to keep current with continuing education as necessary.
- Ability to develop and maintain a collaborative, positive team environment.
- Relationship build internally as well as externally.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant and/or customer environments. PPE required when in the plant, yard, customer, or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, our company has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment