Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403(b))
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short-Term Disability after 1 year of employment
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident, Vision
The Early Childhood Teacher (ECT) is responsible for planning, implementing and maintaining a nurturing and supportive early childhood educational experience for participating children and families. The position oversees the daily implementation of all Head Start standards in the educational classroom operation.
SCHEDULE & WAGE
Monday- Friday 10:45 a.m. -4:45 p.m.; PD/PY; $19.03-$21.34
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure compliance, program records, and documentation required for HACAP programs, child-care licensing regulations, CACFP, Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act and funding requirements.
- Assist and follow site procedures for the maintenance of a safe, positive and nurturing physical and emotional environment in the center and classroom.
- Provide for the educational developmental needs of the individual child, and the classroom as a whole, according to mandated performance standards and established service plans and curriculum.
- Plan and carry out daily lesson plans in keeping with HACAP program requirements and Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act, CLASS dimensions, developmentally appropriate practices, component plans, children's interests, and individual goals and strategies.
- Plan and coordinate the classroom day for the most effective use of classroom staff and volunteers working in the classroom.
- Establish clear classroom rules and guidelines and apply them consistently, appropriately and calmly.
- Submit reports and records in a timely manner.
- Support and contribute to the child study team and other service coordination efforts, implementing team plans and other recommendations for classroom services.
- Effectively communicate with parents on an ongoing basis through formal and informal communications.
- Advocate for families in the program and encourage their participation.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with each family.
- Coordinate and attend parent committee meetings as applicable
- Inform the supervisor or support staff of issues, which may affect program or agency compliance or image.
- Participate in program assessments.
- Maintain clean and sanitary classroom, kitchen, bathroom, outdoor play area and entryway area utilized by children and their families before, during and after class as needed. Follow established maintenance requirements of the Head Start Early Head Start program.
- Work cooperatively with the center/classroom staff in program implementation.
- Perform any or all other classroom duties as required by program, funding and CACFP regulations as needed.
- Support the organization's mission, vision, values, policy, and procedure by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to HACAP through quality job performance, a sense of responsibility for high achievement, professional appearance, awareness of current events throughout HACAP, and positive promotion of HACAP.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow Team Members
- Consistently demonstrate an ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary
- Consistently come to work on time, working as scheduled, and leaving at the scheduled time
- Maintain appropriate attire and good grooming habits to support HACAP’s desire for safe and efficient operations, providing greater service and better customer relations.
- Must possess high integrity and ensure the confidentiality of any information concerning an employee, client, family, financial condition or personal peculiarities is strictly maintained
- Ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage and destruction within HACAP as required by HIPAA.
Education and/or Experience
Current State of Iowa Early Childhood Teacher License
- Ability to read, comprehend and implement procedures.
- Ability to use good judgment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to relate to low-income people
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with age-appropriate activities in the classroom and relate with children in a positive way
- Detail orientated
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, and grasp; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally use the repetitive wrist, hand, and finger movements to operate a computer keyboard. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, stoop, bend, kneel, squat, twist, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally climb stairs or steps. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell. The employee must be able to work/play with children on their level, specifically on the floor level. The employee must regularly lift, move, push, or pull up to 10 pounds; frequently lift, move, push, or pull up to 25 pounds; and occasionally lift, move, push or pull up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Receive clearance by the Iowa Department of Human Services on child abuse and criminal checks prior to hire and resubmit every two (2) years.
- Receive clearance through National FBI fingerprint checks. Fingerprints must be submitted for national check no later than 30 days from the date of hire or start date at the center. Resubmit every four (4) years.
- Pass a pre-employment health examination and subsequent health examinations every two (2) years thereafter.
- Provide TB screening clearance upon hire and every two (2) years thereafter.
- Complete Bloodborne Pathogen (Universal Precautions) within ten (10) days of employment and update annually.
- Complete Child Abuse Mandatory Reporting Training within three (3) months of employment and update every three (3) years.
- Obtain first aid training within three (3) months of employment and update every two (2) years.
- Obtain CPR training within three (3) months of employment and update every two (2) years.
- Complete CCDBG Essentials training within ninety (90) days of employment and update every five (5) years.
- Attend a minimum of fifteen (15) hours of in-service training annually.
- Training activities must be accomplished within work hours scheduled or training hours approved by HACAP.
- Reliable transportation for use on the job.
- Valid driver’s license and valid car insurance.
- Paid time and mileage calculated from the nearest HACAP service site to the population cluster to be served by the employee or from the employee’s residence whichever is nearer.
- Maintain and keep current credentials for position requirements.
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid car insurance
**ATTACH A COPY OF DIPLOMA/TRANSCRIPTS/TRAINING**