For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our specialty construction customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, Industrial Contractors, Inc. and CMS Mechanical Services.
We are seeking qualified candidates for an Internship in our Service/Light Commercial department. The ideal intern, under general supervision, will assist in hardware and software designs and programming of HVAC control and other low voltage systems to meet the intent of the project requirements. This individual will assist in the design of complex software programs and provide detailed information and submittals for customers, consultants, field teams and subcontractors. The intern will be required to deliver a “report-out” presentation at the end of the assignment.
- High School or GED; Associates degree in Electronics or related technical field preferred.
- Strong knowledge of installation and implementation of control systems.
- Strong knowledge of engineering fundamentals, commissioning, HVAC concepts and business operations.
- MS Office (excel, word, power point), Adobe Writer, Visio and basic Windows functionality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid State Driver’s License
- Adaptable to change and able to daily travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Select hardware designs from several different control vendors.
- Assist in compiling cost estimates and prepare proposals
- Provide technical recommendation on projects; understand agreements and work scope.
- Develop HVAC equipment drawings, schedules, submittals, sequences of operations, material lists, network layouts, electrical schematics and as built drawings.
- Software and graphic programming; exhibit technical aptitude and advanced computer skills.
- Complete certifications as required.
- Assist in providing direction and support to field teams in the installation and execution of contracts.
- Perform and assist in the commissioning of the controls and associated equipment, including material ordering and verification.
- Assist design engineers and project managers during all project phases.
- Adhere to required safety standards and requirements of the company and customers.
- Aggressively perform continuous self-study to maintain a competitive edge in the industry and company’s standards, practices and product lines.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner and consistent with our values and mission.
- Actively participate in programs, policies and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company and corporation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Initiative and self-discipline
- Strong work ethic and time management, organization and planning skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- Reflective Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness