Classic Industrial Services is dedicated to providing high-quality industrial construction services. We have been in business for over 25 years and our current area of focus includes industrial insulation, scaffolding, siding, and refractory services.
Assistant Project Manager/Estimator
Job Title: Assistant Project Manager/Estimator
Department: Smithfield, NC
Reports to: Branch Manager
Management Role: Non- Manager
Salary Range: TBD
As Classic Industrial Services continues to grow, our need for additional quality employees also grows. We are currently seeking candidates for the newly created position of Assistant Project Manager/Estimator at our facility in Smithfield, NC. This position will report to the Branch Manager.
In this dual role, the Assistant Project Manager/Estimator is responsible for the mechanics of estimating and executing projects and will spend approximately 50% of his/her time in each area of responsibility.
In the APM role, he/she will assist the Assistant Project Manager in planning, executing, and closing projects efficiently to maximize profitability. This position is the main point of contact between the office and the project staff on site. He/she ensures that the necessary planning, direction and controls are in place to support the activities of the job and also oversees the site personnel in the execution of those activities. This position also updates the cost and schedule of the project and reviews issues that may lead or led to a negative impact to either.
In the Estimator role, he/she will determine the most economical pricing for the scope of work in accordance with customer's specification and project requirements. This includes quantitative take-off work, understanding specifications, securing material prices, developing estimated costs, and proposal work and customer relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities related to APM role:
- Responsible for complying with all local, state and federal laws and statutes regarding taxes, labor laws, EPA, OSHA, government department regulations.
- Recommend supervision changes to the Construction Manager and Project Manager when and where necessary.
- Provide feedback to the project staff in regard to their expectations and performance.
- Ensure the ethical and prudent operations of the project for the Company.
- Identify safety problems on the job and stops work if problem cannot be resolved without risk of injury.
- Assist in managing start of work for subcontractors and helps monitor their performance.
- Conduct meetings with the PM and site management team to keep them informed on those matters which effect the successful performance of the jobs.
- Develop meaningful relationships with Internal & External customers.
- Build, plan, manage and report project controls as required for each project. Including but not limited to writing reports, monitor budgeted project expenditures, monitor cash flow of the project, report tracking and updating project progress, prepare financial reports for reporting to management.
Responsibilities related to Estimating role:
- Evaluate pricing structures to determine the best value for the projects ranging from $10,000 up to $ 1,000,000 in size
- Comprehend bid inquiries, specifications, drawings, and contractual language
- Develop schedules, flow charts, organization charts and other proposal submittal documents to support proposal details
- Reading, deciphering and understanding customer inquiries, project specifications & documents, and subcontracts
- Develop an accurate estimated cost which includes understanding project requirements, securing material prices, generating material and labor unit prices, cost extensions and summarizing costs that meet customers’ requirements and expectations
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of project management processes, reading and interpreting specifications, drawings, scheduling software (such as P6) and contracts.
- Must possess proven time management and organizational skills to handle several projects within same time frame.
- Effective (English) oral, written and interpersonal communication skills required.
- Must be able to walk, climb, and negotiate through crowded and cluttered job sites; job site conditions may be damp, hot, cold, drafty, dusty, and/or dirty.
- Must have excellent math skills for interpreting drawings, bids, proposals, invoices, worksheets, etc.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Some air and auto travel required in order to visit company jobsites, customers and attend pre-bid meetings throughout the year during all weather conditions.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Willing to pass a background check and pre-employment drug test
Formal Education and Experience Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; post high school education or Construction Management degree or related degree preferred.
- 3 - 5 years in the construction business, much of which has been in the industrial insulation industry with direct responsibility for the work activities or on a project staff with such responsibility; experience having full responsibility for multiple construction jobs in the field and estimating projects preferred.
Lifting Requirements: Up to 50 lbs.
- Walk (move, traverse) Frequently
- Used hands/fingers to handle or feel (operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, position) Frequently
- Climb (stairs, ladders) or balance (ascend/descend, work atop, traverse) Frequently
- Talk/hear (communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, exchange information) Constantly
- See (detect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate, asses) Constantly
- Reaching : Often
Hazards and Atmospheric Conditions:
This position is primarily office based and most work is done in an office environment. Occasionally this position may require site visits to active construction sites. On a construction site, the employee may be required to climb ladders and walk in areas under construction. While on construction sites, the employee must wear proper protective equipment such as hard hat, eye and hearing protection, high visibility vest, etc. The employee must be familiar with all company safety equipment and is required to follow company safety procedures, prior to entering the construction site
Equipment and Tools:
Equipment used for job:
Constructions site visits may require: Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, High Visibility Vest, Etc.
List tools: None
List vehicles driven:
Valid state issued driver’s license and a safe driving record required to operate company vehicle
We offer opportunities for advancement along with a competitive salary and excellent benefits including Health & Dental Insurance, 401K Program (including company contribution), Profit Sharing, Short and Long-Term Disability, Paid Vacations and Holidays, and Educational Opportunities.
Disclaimer: This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Classic is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing law.