Title: Geospatial Data Scientist
Location(s): Washington, DC
Required Security Clearance: Must be able to attain a Secret Level Security Clearance
Join Freedom – we’re a team of IT professionals dedicated to our passion for tech and loving where we work. As a member of our team, how you want to spend your time and which projects you’d like to work on is important to us – which is part of the reason we’ve been selected as a Top Workplace for multiple years in a row. You’ll be part of our friendly, flexible office environment, hands-off management, a variety of social events, and endless growth opportunities. Tell us what you need to do your best work, and we work the magic to make it happen.
We believe in striking that perfect balance between work and play, where you can pursue your creativity and excel in your career, and still have time for all your extracurricular activities. At Freedom, there is no shortage of growth opportunities and a successful career path for a bright, well-rounded professional like you. We have something for everyone – check out our most recent available position below!
What You'll Do
This position is based at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Washington, DC. A federal agency of the United States government, USAID is the world's premier international development agency. USAID's work advances U.S. national security and economic prosperity, demonstrates American generosity, and promotes a path to recipient self-reliance and resilience in countries around the world. This position is located within USAID’s GeoCenter, a team of geographers and data analysts who apply geospatial analysis, create new mapping data, and build geographic expertise to address international development challenges.
The Geospatial Data Scientist is responsible for working with subject matter experts within USAID to address priority development challenges and enhance the Agency’s capacity to integrate data and geographic analysis into routine decision making. The Geospatial Data Scientist must have an interest in learning how USAID implements projects in the field, including knowledge of USAID's program cycle. Responsibilities include the following:
Technical Support and Analytical Services
- Apply data analytic methods, including geo-statistical analysis, to priority international development challenges.
- Assist USAID subject matter experts in sectors such as agriculture, economic growth, democracy and governance, health, education, and environment to integrate data analytics into their decision-making for improved planning, monitoring, and evaluation of development programs.
- Design, develop, and deliver data analysis and visualization products to support USAID operations at all stages of the development programming cycle.
- Acquire, process, manage, and analyze data from a range of sources for improved decision making, with a particular focus on geospatial data.
- Collaborate with a team of interdisciplinary experts within the GeoCenter.
Strategic Planning, Support, and Capacity Building
- Cultivate relationships within USAID to link GeoCenter capabilities with agency analytical needs.
- Facilitate discussion among key USAID stakeholders to articulate a vision and plan for integrating data science and geographic analysis into planning, delivering, and assessing development programs.
- Provide consultation to non-technical audiences; develop and implement guidance on integrating geospatial data and analysis in routine decision making.
- Prepare concept papers, background analyses, and briefings to build support for the use of geospatial data analytics and data science throughout USAID.
- Provide training to non-technical audiences on accessing, analyzing, and visualizing data.
Qualifications and Technical Knowledge
- Strong quantitative background and experience in data collection, cleaning, and processing; applied analysis and visualization experience using statistical software or programming languages (Python, Stata, SAS, R, SPSS, MATLAB, Tableau, PowerBI).
- Experience working with large household survey datasets, such as Demographic and Health Survey (DHS), Living Standards Measurement Study Data (LSMS), and Multi-indicator Cluster Survey (MICS) in raw and derived formats.
- Ability to stitch together data from multiple sources to conduct analysis, including the incorporation of geospatial data features.
- Ability to produce compelling data visualization products using applications, such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Working knowledge of industry-standard GIS software (Esri ArcGIS, QGIS, MapBox, Leaflet.js, CartoDB, etc.), and creation of geospatial data products.
- Curious, self-motivated, with excellent communications skills. Must be able to distill analytical results into clear implications for decision-makers and senior leadership. Must be able to communicate information about their work to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to apply econometric / statistical / machine learning analytics to problems and data sets spanning diverse sectors such as agriculture, democracy & governance, economic growth, education, environment, and health.
- Experience leading and facilitating data analysis projects through concept, iterative design/development, and delivery.
Four (4) years of experience or two (2) years of experience with an advanced quantitative degree in a field such as Statistics, Data Science, Economics, GIS, or a related technical field.
Candidates will be asked to share an example of a project portfolio as part of their evaluation, including final products and code. Candidates should be ready to explain how they organized their project and walk through the logic used to arrive at their final results.
What’s in It for You?
- Flexible work environment
- A team mentality – work with friendly, like-minded professionals
- Work with innovative, cutting edge technologies
- Enjoy extremely competitive compensation and benefits
- A work-life balance you can count on
- Opportunities to grow and advance your career on our dime
The Benefits You Get with Freedom
- Amazing benefits including matching 401k, profit sharing, fully paid medical, and more
- Generous paid time off – including paid site closure days
- Competitive salary offerings
- Paid training and tuition reimbursement
- Referral bonuses
- Fully paid life and disability
- Annual logo wear allowance
- Company sponsored events (game nights, holiday party, summer party, happy hours)
Interested in learning more about Freedom and our culture? Contact us today! We’re constantly hosting hiring events in our office and elsewhere, to help you get a sense of what life is like at Freedom before joining the team.
Expected to perform short term technical assistance overseas
Ability to attain a Secret Level Security Clearance is required
U.S. Citizenship is required
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or veteran status
Applicant Federal & E-Verify Postings
VEVRAA Federal Contractor