Community Engagement Manager, Recruitment - Tulsa
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners.
The high level:
The Community Engagement Manager (CEM) of Recruitment is part of an energetic team of leaders working together to leverage Reading Partners’ mission in the community. The Community Engagement Manager’s main role is to lead, develop, and mobilize a small team of full-time staff that recruits a diverse portfolio of volunteer leads who convert to weekly volunteers. Reporting directly to the Director of External Relations, the Community Engagement Manager strategizes and project manages the overall volunteer recruitment strategy for the region including partnership development and management, volunteer lead generation, and more. The Community Engagement Manager is an expert relationship maximizer, is driven by ambitious, high-stakes volunteer goals, and is excited by both strategic and on-the-ground work. This person can passionately convey the Reading Partners program, brand and mission to all stakeholders; inspiring them to action. This person will work closely with the Community Engagement Manager of Operations to ensure all volunteer goals for the Tulsa region are met.
What you’ll do:
Each year, execute on a comprehensive community engagement strategy to meet and exceed new volunteer recruitment targets:
- Lead the Community Engagement Recruitment Team to create a robust volunteer pipeline that meets monthly volunteer session goals.
- Provide direct supervision of Community Engagement Associate, Recruitment and Community Engagement Coordinator, Recruitment.
- Generate more than 2,000 leads annually to reach new volunteer recruitment goals.
- Oversee and lead the community engagement recruitment team to quickly move new leads through the pipeline, ensuring all volunteers receive their first point of contact within 24 - 48 hours of expressing interest in the program and maintaining a 50% conversion rate.
- Regularly report progress to goals and trends to the Director of External Relations to inform and drive regional recruitment decisions.
- Lead community engagement recruitment team and larger Reading Partners AmeriCorps team at external tabling and recruitment events, ensuring they are prepared to be excellent representatives of the Reading Partners brand, equipped to engage prospective volunteers in conversations about our mission.
- Lead efforts to retain and steward 30 community partnerships that contribute 10 or more volunteers and increase weekly volunteer number of retained partnerships.
- Ensure 90% of retained partnerships report satisfaction in interactions with Reading Partners staff as measured by survey.
- Create and execute annual partnership stewardship plan that includes mid- and end-of-year check-ins, as well as ongoing recognition for their efforts in external communication touchpoints.
- Lead recruitment efforts for region by coordinating and hosting information sessions, tabling or other recruitment events at active partnerships.
- Lead efforts to develop relationships with and convert new volunteer partnerships that contribute 10 or more volunteers.
- Regularly represent Reading Partners in the community at events, networking functions, luncheons and/or public speaking opportunities resulting in community leaders taking action in support of Reading Partners.
- Engage prospects through information sessions, meetings, site visits or one-time tutoring events by moving prospects and stakeholders to action.
- Build framework to grow prospect list based on active volunteer affiliations.
- Oversee quality assurance for salesforce volunteer and partnership database to execute toward goals.
How you’ll do it:
Leadership & Management:
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in coaching, inspiring, and developing emerging professionals toward goals. Demonstrate an ability to provide clear guidance and goals, to delegate, and to provide growth opportunities while supporting progress along the way. Be able to recruit, hire, onboard, and deliver high-quality training to AmeriCorps members and volunteers. Support our emerging national network of Community Engagement Managers and other community engagement staff.
Relationship Development & Collaboration:
- Leverage existing relationships and build new transformational relationships in the community. Establish highly collaborative cross-functional relationships, and work effectively with all internal stakeholders for both organizational fundraising and program delivery. Celebrate wins with all stakeholders.
- Externally, demonstrate the ability to genuinely promote Reading Partners and our mission through a variety of strategies. Provide excellent customer service to partners and volunteers. Have a high level of comfort with public speaking and with crafting mass communications. Be able to differentiate communication depending upon your audience.
- Internally, set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Be able to conduct difficult conversations with grace and ease.
- Create innovative solutions in the face of competition for resources, time, etc. with a high degree of adaptability and flexibility. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively execute solutions. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Be able to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and also drill down to smaller details to connect the dots.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Tulsa education landscape and broader community
- Have 3+ years of progressive experience in sales, customer service, marketing, client management, community organizing or similar field
- Have direct management experience of volunteers, interns and/or emerging professionals
- Have database management experience and high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Have access to reliable transportation to travel within a defined geographic region on a daily basis
- Have flexibility and adaptability in work style and work schedule, including some night and weekend time
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience.This is a full-time, exempt salaried position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know:
- Travel: This position travels regularly throughout Tulsa.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.