Volunteer Firefighter Position Description:
The Derby Fire & Rescue Department is a combination department that actively seeks qualified individuals as volunteer firefighters.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a high school graduate (GED accepted). Fire Science Degree preferred.
- Have a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
- Live within 30 minutes normal drive time from the closest City of Derby fire station.
- Have an IFSAC certified Firefighter I certificate.
- Have a Hazardous Materials Operations certificate.
- Have EMT-B certification through Kansas Board of EMS within one year of recruit training.
- Be able to pass physical agility test at the end of recruit training and then annually.
- Be able to staff the station at least 24-hours monthly and assist with numerous public events as needed.
- Be able to safely perform the essential job requirements of a firefighter as outlined in Chapter 6, NFPA 1582.
- Be able to wear face masks, not afraid of heights or confined spaces.