Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, paid time off, education assistance and much more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent Care and Health Care)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
Balfour Beatty Rail (BBR), is seeking a Power Systems Engineer for the LAX Automated People Mover (APM) project in Los Angeles. The APM is an electric train system on a 2.25 mile elevated guide-way with six stations total, for Los Angeles International Airport. Early works construction began in May 2018, and the system is expected to be open for passenger service in 2023. The construction portion of the contract is valued at over $2 billion.
Serve as a Power Systems Engineer in the conceptual, preliminary and final design for a complex rail transit project. Responsibilities include:
- Work with a team in coordinating systems engineering design and construction services for rail transit projects involving power distribution, traction power, SCADA, substations, and systems integration testing and startup activities.
- Assist with the preparation of design drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Responsible for interfacing with the other disciplines to ensure proper coordination of the systems aspects of the project.
- Assist with power systems design integration, verification, and validation.
- Coordinate and manage electrical system suppliers in the development, integration, and testing of power distribution and traction power systems.
- Assist in the creation of engineering development test plans, factory acceptance test plans, and site commissioning tests and reports.
- Assist with critical maintainability and test ability demonstrations to confirm equipment can achieve contractual reliability, availability, maintainability, and safety (RAMS) requirements.
- Bachelor's of Science in Engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years of related work experience is required.
- Familiarity with rail transit industry standards, practices, and regulations.
- Knowledge of the principles of power distribution systems and traction power.
- Must be proficient in the use of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Primavera P6 scheduling software.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Professional Engineer registration.
- Master's or higher degree in Engineering or a related field.
- Understanding of construction means and methods with previous subcontract management experience desired.
- Knowledge of central control and maintenance & storage facilities is desired.
- Experience in design and/or construction management of rail transit systems/facilities such as traction power substations, rail maintenance & storage facilities, PDS, and SCADA is highly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Willing to work 60 hours/ per week and weekends when necessary.
Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.