Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, the initial interviews for this job opening will be conducted via video or phone. We are looking to fill this role immediately.
Wharton-Smith Inc. is currently seeking a Senior Preconstruction Services Manager to join the Commercial Division team in the Jupiter, FL area. The primary responsibility of this position will be management and coordination of preconstruction activities for the Commercial Division. Our projects are typically Construction Management at Risk and may also involve Design Build and Lump Sum. The candidate will have growth and advancement opportunity and will participate in local office management decision making.
- Coordinate the interests of Wharton-Smith, the client and third parties involved to ensure fulfillment of the company’s contractual obligations and client satisfaction.
- Provide support to Marketing and Business Development as required with writing proposals and participating in presentations to help achieve the company’s growth and revenue goals.
- Monitor and help ensure timely completion of critical preconstruction activities.
- Maintain positive relationships with project team and promote cooperation and teamwork with common goals and expectations.
- Coordinate, supervise and review work of assigned personnel and/or subordinates to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Supervise Architect/Engineer’s production of drawings and adherence to budget and schedule requirements.
- Prepare budget/estimate for staffing and general conditions for new projects and projects being bid. Become familiar with contract terms and local methodologies relative to particular clients.
- Participate in pre-construction planning meetings that include the Owner, A/E and Wharton-Smith personnel.
- Participate and advise upper management in regard to decisions on developing new clients, client relations, project pursuits, and bid strategies.
- Utilize historical cost data, current market conditions, unit pricing information, building type and size, and local area knowledge to prepare conceptual estimates and accurate project budgets.
- Manage periodic estimates coinciding with each major design development phase while ensuring adherence to client’s budget and quality goals.
- Prepare bid packages with respect to complying with Wharton-Smith procedures and internal auditing practices and Owner contract terms.
- Assist the project staff and estimating/precon personnel to perform constructability reviews to actively look for design coordination issues, omissions or problems with the plans and specs that could be corrected before the project begins to improve constructability during construction.
- Participate in preparation/establishment of the initial Master Project Schedule with project team. Monitor preconstruction activities and adherence to the project schedule.
- Identify potential issues that should be avoided during the course of the project.
- Perform life cycle cost analysis and value engineering studies to evaluate materials, systems and innovative methods to assure quality, cost and schedule control.
- Review GMP Proposals for compliance with contract terms and client-specific documentation or management techniques.
- Prepare budget/estimate for staffing and general conditions for new projects and projects being bid.
- Participate in meetings to monitor and control project scope and budget.
- Develop interim project estimates at various levels of design document completion, conceptual, schematic, design development and construction document stage.
- Work with Project Manager and/or Estimating/Precon personnel to identify long lead items and prepare initial project budget, purchasing schedule, and cash flow schedule.
- Assist project field staff with estimating and negotiation of large change orders as required.
- Help ensure that safety policy and practices are reviewed prior to the start of each new project and are implemented by each Project Manager and Superintendent.
- Review documents to become aware of issues pertaining to compliance with any special Federal and State requirements relating to a particular project’s contract terms.
- Review actual project costs vs. budget, reasons for variance and indicate profitability, best practices and problem areas as applicable in a “Lessons Learned” report.
- Incorporate and “Lessons Learned” into planning meetings when similar projects or circumstances arise.
- Actively participate in social, service and industry organizations and attend networking functions with other industry and community leaders and peers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Building Construction, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or other closely related construction field.
- A minimum of 10 years related experience and a demonstrated knowledge of the preconstruction process in the Construction Management at Risk, Design-Build, and Lump Sum/Hard Bid delivery methods.
- Experience using Excel, Planswift, and iSqft is preferred.
- Excellent organization, computer, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop plans and provide leadership to project teams and clients to guide them successfully through the entire preconstruction process.
- Ability to maintain professionalism in the face of deadlines.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and trustworthiness.
- Proficiency in solving problems in a creative, positive and constructive manner.
- Understanding of conceptual estimating, value engineering, and historical pricing.
- Ability to develop and/or enhance long-term relationships with clients and other business partners.
Job seekers should be aware of potential job scams. Wharton-Smith will not ask candidates to pay money upfront, or provide banking information during the interview process. We will not ask a candidate to pay a fee for a background check, or to purchase work-at-home equipment or materials prior to starting work. We require a face-to-face interview with candidates before we make a job offer. For more information, please go to the Federal Trade Commission website.