Classic Industrial Services is dedicated to providing high-quality industrial construction services. We have been in business for over 25 years and our current area of focus includes industrial insulation, scaffolding, siding, and refractory services.
Job Title: Senior Estimator
Department: Baton Rouge, LA
Reports to: Jvice President of Estimating
Main goal of this position is to determine the most economical pricing for the scope of work in accordance with customer's specification and project requirements. This includes quantitative take-off work, understanding specifications, securing material prices, developing estimated costs, proposal work and customer relationships.
- Read and comprehend bid inquiries, specifications, drawings and contract requirements.
- Perform accurate quantitative take-offs.
- Develop an accurate estimated cost which includes understanding project requirements, securing material prices, generating material and labor unit prices, cost extensions and summarizing costs for presentation to Management Team (President, Operation Manager, Vice President of Estimating, Project Manager, etc.)
- Generate a comprehensive proposal including all information requested by the customer's inquiry. Use appropriate alternates to supplement base bid.
- Communicate with customer before and after proposal submittal.
- Have sufficient organization and time management skills to work on several estimates to meet due dates.
- Attend kick-off meeting between estimating, project management and construction departments once a project is secured to insure a smooth transition from estimating to project management to construction.
Duties & Tasks:
- Attend pre-bid and pre-award meetings.
- Perform accurate quantitative take-offs utilizing estimating software (MIKE, etc.).
- Secure material prices.
- Generate unit prices.
- Summarize estimated cost for presentation to Management Team.
- Comprehend bid inquiries, specification, drawings and contracts.
- Generate comprehensive proposal to customer's requirements.
- Communicate with customer before and after proposal submitted.
- Complete Owner / Customer Score Cards, RFP Score Cards and Job Approval Slip.
- Project kick-off meeting with Project & Construction Management.
- Attend Monthly Operation Reviews (MOR’s).
- Demonstrate good judgment in investigating problems.
- Maintain cooperative working relationship with supervisors and other employees.
- Recognize and deal with priorities.
- Not abusing or taking advantage of personal days off.
- Provide proper notification of absence.
- Reporting to work on time.
- Maintaining a well-groomed, professional appearance appropriate for the position and situation.
- Tactfully handle difficult situations.
Measure of Performance:
- Accurate quantitative take-offs.
- Accurate "estimated" costs.
- Quality proposal completed on schedule.
Required: High School Degree or Equivalent
Required: Five years in the construction business, much of which has been in the insulation industry.
Preferred: Eight years of actual field experience in the insulation industry.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge of reading and interpreting specifications, drawings, and contracts. Strong background in math and writing skills are required for bid accuracy and proposal work. Must possess time management and organizational skills to handle several estimates within same time frame.
- Walk (move, traverse) Frequently
- Used hands/fingers to handle or feel (operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, position) Frequently
- Climb (stairs, ladders) or balance (ascend/descend, work atop, traverse) Frequently
- Talk/hear (communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, exchange information) Constantly
- See (detect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate, asses) Constantly
- Reaching: Often
Body Positions: Sitting most of day at desk in office.
Body Movements: Walking and climbing as required during jobsite visits.
Body Senses: Position requires full vision in order to read specifications, drawings and contract documents plus the motor skills to perform take-offs, calculating costs and proposed work.
Mathematics: Position requires excellent math skills and accuracy for determining estimated cost.
Language: Position requires the ability to read, write and speak English in order to read requests for proposals, correspondence and communicate with customer, vendors and employees.
Reasoning: Position requires the mental capabilities to deal with customers, employees and others to accomplish company goals.
- Light Work exerting up to 50 lbs.
Primarily in controlled temperature office. Visits to jobsites and customer's offices should be expected throughout the year.
Disclaimer: This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Classic is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing law.