Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, paid time off, education assistance and much more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent Care and Health Care)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
Balfour Beatty Rail has an immediate opening for a Sr. Communication Systems Engineer in Los Angeles, CA.
Serve as a Communication Systems Engineer in the conceptual, preliminary, and final design for complex, rail transit projects.
- Help to develop System Integration Plan
- Assist with the creation of Integration Test and Acceptance plans, including testing forms, procedures for testing, and approval steps.
- Assist with the integration of all System interfaces so that the System is properly integrated with itself, existing systems, and into the Project area, including the right-of-way, the surrounding communities, and all facilities, equipment, and data provided by others.
- Help to establish and maintain a systematic, documented, comprehensive, and verifiable systems integration process to be applied throughout the duration of the Project.
- Responsible for interfacing with the other disciplines to insure proper coordination of the systems aspects of the project.
- The ideal candidate will have broad engineering skills and must have experience with the design and construction of rail infrastructure systems, integrated communications, train control, and electrical systems.
- The candidate must be able to evaluate design changes for impacts to interfaces.
- Assist with oversight of systems integration testing.
- Assist with oversight of systems acceptance testing.
- 5+ years of related communication systems experience in large heavy civil or transportation projects.
- Understanding of construction means and methods.
- Familiarity with rail transit industry standards, practices, and regulations is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Demonstrated initiative, drive, leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of communications and central control facilities is desirable.
- Experience in design and/or construction management of rail transit systems such as CBTC, SCADA, APM signals/train control, and APM communications is preferred.
- Familiarity with railroading, signaling, communications, vehicles, and other railroad technology, including requirements management software is preferred.
- Professional Engineer registration is a plus.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Primavera P6 scheduling software.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Excellent organization and planning.
- Willing to work 60 hours/week and weekends when necessary.
- Willing to relocate to Los Angeles, California, if not local.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.