Career Opportunity - Join our Accounting Team!
The Accountant/Compensation Specialist will support the finance department by handling payroll processing, sales tax administration, data input for box office activity, and daily deposit transactions. Responsible for organization-wide payroll processing and timely and accurate payroll submission to the payroll provider. The position plays a critical role in maintaining the organization’s compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws. Assist with account analysis and monthly financial statement preparation.
Looking for an adaptable, highly-motivated individual who will support our team, grow within the organization, thrive within a fast-paced environment and manage priorities as changes occur. The best candidate for this role will have payroll and benefits experience and is interested in increasing their accounting responsibilities. Qualified candidates will be detail-oriented and have strong analytical skills. Full-time (non-exempt position), M-F day shift with the ability to occasionally work nights, weekends and holidays for purposes of conducting financial settlements.
What you get to do!
- Prepare, process and audit payroll on a bi-weekly basis, including time and attendance, new hires and terminations, salary and benefit changes, garnishments, taxes
- Verify data from the time reporting system into the payroll system; reconciliation of payroll-related general ledger accounts; generation of payroll reports, as requested
- Work closely with payroll provider to ensure all tax documents are reviewed, approved, and paid timely
- Effectively communicate with Human Resources to update employee records and assist with onboarding new employees including enrollment in employee benefit plans which include health insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, flexible benefits, and 401K plan.
- Troubleshoot and correct payroll questions and issues for management and employees
- Ensure appropriate documentation for payroll operational processes and procedures are in place and adhered to as part of operations
- Generation of general ledger entries to record payroll, tax liabilities, and benefits
- Partner with HR to manage annual benefits open enrollment
- Assist with necessary documentation for annual workmen’s compensation audit
GENERAL LEDGER, REPORTING & ANALYSIS
- Daily processing and recording of CRM/ticketing system transactions into the general ledger
- Monitor and reconcile accounts receivable. Maintain collection of outstanding accounts on a current basis; forward delinquent accounts to collection agency
- Prepare bank deposits, reconcile cash receipts
- Calculate and reconcile sales tax transactions. Remit timely payments to State of South Dakota.
- Assist with and record performance and event settlements
- Perform analytical review of all assigned balance sheet accounts and ensure the accuracy and completeness of all transactions
- Assist in timely month-end closes – which includes preparing standard journal entries and accruals and inputting them into the general ledger system
- Prepare audit work papers and assist auditors
- Perform accounting duties related to music licensing arrangements (ASCAP/BMI/SESAC)
- Assist with other tasks within the finance department including reporting, budgeting, and special projects
What you need to have to be successful!
- Minimum requirements of bachelor’s degree, plus two years’ general accounting experience including journal entry and account reconciliation, payroll processing and group benefits administration
- Knowledge of federal, state and local payroll laws
- Ability to accurately work under pressure in meeting deadlines
- Computer skills essential – Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and organizational skills
- Must be a self-starter who can work with minimal supervision but who can also work effectively on a team
- Detail-oriented, strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Requires an inquisitive nature and excitement to learn (especially for those without a non-profit background)
What we offer you!
A fun, engaging culture with excellent compensation $20-$22/hour + an attractive full benefits package: Medical, Dental, Vision, AFLAC, Life Insurance/STD/LTD paid by employer, Employee Assistance Program, 401K with a great match, Paid Time Off (includes personal/sick/holidays), free membership to Washington Pavilion + perks such as discounts on tickets/shows/events, and a discount at Leonardo's Café on-site, Washington Pavilion apparel, jeans on Fridays and fun special events for staff!
If this is a great fit for you to work in an amazing place filled with creative energy and excitement, apply today!
EOE, Background Check