Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403(b))
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability after 1 year of employment
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident, and Vision
The Child Care Nurse Consultant will work with early education and child care programs providing consultation, training, technical assistance, information, and referral, as well as care planning for children with special health, needs to Benton, Cedar, Jones, and Linn County childcare providers.
SCHEDULE AND WAGE
Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm (flexible hours, may include some evenings or weekends); $26.71 hourly
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical assistance to child care providers on health and safety-related topics, per DHS regulations, best practice standards, and direction from the Healthy Child Care Iowa Coordinator.
- Provide DHS approved health and safety-related training for child care providers.
- Consult with child care providers, parents, and medical providers to develop care plans for children with special health care needs for use in the child care setting.
- Assist child care programs to safely manage medication administration and medical procedures in the child care setting.
- Review the health information of children in preschool and child care settings.
- Conduct appropriate EPSDT child screenings within child care settings.
- Conduct on-site health and safety assessments of the child care setting including required assessments for child care provider participation in the QRS/IQ4K rating system.
- Provide health information, referrals, and education to families and children.
- Participate in community health workgroups to advocate for the well-being of children in the preschool or child care setting.
- Keep current on child care licensing standards and health practices.
- Attend meetings and training as required by the Iowa Department of Public Health and Healthy Child Care Iowa.
- Facilitate ongoing partnerships between child care programs, Child Care Resource and Referral, the Family and Community Health Alliance, and other community partners.
- Support the organization's mission, vision, values, policy, and procedure by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to HACAP through quality job performance, a sense of responsibility for high achievement, professional appearance, awareness of current events throughout HACAP, and positive promotion of HACAP.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow Team Members.
- Consistently demonstrate the ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Consistently come to work on time, working as scheduled, and leaving at the scheduled time.
- Maintain appropriate attire and good grooming habits to support HACAP’s desire for safe and efficient operations, providing greater service and better customer relations.
- Must possess high integrity and ensure confidentiality of any information concerning an employee, client, family, financial condition, or personal peculiarities is strictly maintained.
- Ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage, and destruction within HACAP as required by HIPAA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Registered Nurse – licensed in the state of Iowa, BSN preferred
Expertise in community health, maternal and child health
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, and grasp; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally use the repetitive wrist, hand, and finger movements to operate a computer keyboard. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, stoop, bend, kneel, squat, twist, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally climb stairs or steps. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell. The employee must be able to work/play with children on their level, specifically on floor level. The employee must regularly lift, move, push, or pull up to 10 pounds; frequently lift, move, push, or pull up to 25 pounds; and occasionally lift, move, push or pull up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Complete the Iowa Training Project for Child Care Nurse Consultants.
- Maintain nursing licensure.
- Obtain first aid training within three (3) months of employment and update every three (3) years.
- Obtain CPR training within three months (3) of employment and update every two (2) years.
- Complete Child Abuse Reporter training within six (6) months of employment and update every three (3) years.
- Complete bloodborne pathogen training within ten (10) days of employment and update every year.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Valid automobile insurance.
- Reliable transportation for on the job use.