Community Engagement Associate – South Carolina
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The High Level
The Community Engagement Associate (CEA) is part of an energetic team of relationship builders working together to leverage Reading Partners’ mission in the community. Reporting directly to the Community Engagement Manager, the CEA’s main role is to support all volunteer recruitment, retention, training, and celebration efforts for the region. The CEA will manage partnerships that contribute to the overall volunteer recruitment goals, as well as lead and support a variety of other volunteer recruitment and initiatives including event planning, community visits, outreach calls, and more. Additionally, the CEA will work closely with the Program Team to develop and execute a recruitment strategy to attract, hire, and retain a qualified cohort of AmeriCorps members for the year. The Community Engagement Associate is relationship-focused, goal-oriented, and is excited by both higher level and on-the-ground work.
What You’ll Do
Each fiscal year, work collaboratively with volunteers and internal team members to contribute to the region successfully reaching or exceeding volunteer recruitment, retention, and training goals.
- Support the South Carolina region meet or exceed its volunteer recruitment goal of 900+ volunteers
- Help grow the retention of current volunteer tutors
- Work with CEM to ensure the region achieves a volunteer satisfaction goal of 94%
- Coordinate optional volunteer training sessions with the program team
Each year, execute on a comprehensive community engagement strategy to meet and exceed volunteer recruitment targets.
- Identify and respond to opportunities to establish new relationships with community partners
- Manage and maximize a portfolio of existing community partners
- Organize and support tutor appreciation events and initiatives
- Increase the percentage of tutors coming through referrals from 27% to 30%
Positively impact all aspects of the volunteer experience by…
- Exhibiting exceptional internal and external communication skills
- Supporting initiatives to enhance the quality of tutoring
Support program operations
- In conjunction with the program team, develop and execute a recruitment strategy to attract and hire a qualified cohort of Americorps members for the year
- Work closely with the program team to develop an Americorps retention strategy for Americorps members
Other duties needed.
How You’ll Do It
Leadership & Management: Demonstrate a genuine interest in coaching, inspiring, and developing emerging professionals toward goals. Demonstrate an ability to provide clear guidance and goals, to delegate, and to provide growth opportunities while supporting progress along the way. Be able to recruit, hire, onboard, and deliver high-quality training to AmeriCorps members and volunteers. Support our emerging national network of community engagement staff.
Relationship Development & Collaboration: Leverage existing relationships and build new transformational relationships in the community. Establish highly collaborative cross-functional relationships, and work effectively with all internal stakeholders for both organizational fundraising and program delivery. Celebrate wins with all stakeholders.
Communication: Externally, demonstrate the ability to genuinely promote Reading Partners and our mission through a variety of strategies. Provide excellent customer service to partners and volunteers. Have a high level of comfort with public speaking and with crafting mass communications. Be able to differentiate communication depending upon your audience.
Internally, set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Be able to conduct difficult conversations with grace and ease.
Project Management: Create innovative solutions in the face of competition for resources, time, etc. with a high degree of adaptability and flexibility. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively execute solutions. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Be able to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and also drill down to smaller details to connect the dots.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Charleston and Berkeley education landscape and broader community
- Have 2+ years of progressive experience in customer service, marketing, client management, community organizing or similar field
- Have direct management experience of volunteers, interns and/or emerging professionals
- Have database management experience and high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Have access to reliable transportation to travel within a defined geographic region on a daily basis
- Have flexibility and adaptability in work style and work schedule, including some night and weekend time
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
What We Offer
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know
- Travel: This position travels regularly throughout Charleston and Berkeley counties. This position may also involve occasional travel to Reading Partners’ National Headquarters in Oakland, CA.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit for certain periods of time, bend and stoop occasionally, have the necessary ability to use a keyboard and lift up to 10 pounds. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.