Nevada Copper (TSX:NCU) is a copper producer and owner of the Pumpkin Hollow copper project. Located in Nevada, USA, Pumpkin Hollow has substantial reserves and resources including copper, gold and silver. Its two fully permitted projects include the high-grade underground mine and processing facility, which is now in the production stage, and a large-scale open pit project, which is advancing towards feasibility status.
Purpose of Position
The Mining Engineer is responsible for development and maintenance of reporting systems related to both internal and external stakeholders, serving as relief Short-Range Engineer, and assisting with development of mine designs for both development and production.
Upon completion of initial development of reporting systems, responsibilities will evolve into maintaining the reporting system and standards along with coordination of internal Engineering Department reporting, including weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports. The Mining Engineer will serve as the primary backup for the Short-Range Engineer. Responsibilities while servings as Short-Range Engineer will include maintaining the ventilation and dewatering plans, coordinating with Mine Operations and Geology, and developing the short range mine plan. Under supervision, the Mining Engineer will develop stope, drifts, and infrastructure designs.
Key interfaces include Nevada Copper Team (Management, Technical, Operations, and Support Staff) and mining related contractors.
The Mining Engineer reports to the Senior Mining Engineer on all aspects of administrative and technical operations.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports that are consistent with generally accepted operational reporting standards
- Maintain a healthy, open and collaborative relationship with operational groups
- Inter-departmental coordination of reporting requirements
- Set clear and achievable expectations to ensure reporting deliverables are provided on-time
Relief Short Range Engineer:
- Provide relief support to Short Range Engineers (Production and Support)
- Ensure short-range plans achieve long-range and / or business objectives
- Coordination and delivery of monthly and three-month mine plans
- Ensure timely and quality delivery of level and related mine plans
- Develop infrastructure and drift designs
- Create stope designs and subsequent drill and blast packages
The above items are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountability and duties. Other duties required as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree in Mining Engineering
- Minimum of one (1) experience in underground mining environment preferred
- Previous mining construction and / or start-up experience well regarded
- Familiarity with relevant MSHA underground mining specific standards preferred
- Expert use of the Deswik mine planning software preferred
- Results and customer-oriented focus
- Strong technical and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Pragmatic and effective analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and active listening skills
- Ability to facilitate, collaborate and interact with individuals and groups
- Demonstrate a dedication to the Company’s Culture and the position
- Results oriented
- Maintain standards of conduct
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Consistent and fair
Physical and Mental Demands and Requirements
- Work in an underground work environment
- Lift and carry up to 50 lbs. in weight
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Periodically work in environmental extremes (i.e. hot or cold weather)
- Sit for extended periods of time
- Stay alert during periods of inactivity
- Walk on uneven and poorly lit ground
Work Schedule and Personal Protective Equipment
The incumbent will be required to work 40 hour/week schedule, primarily from Monday through Friday. Position may require weekend or evening work depending on organizational and operational requirements for a mine start-up environment that will transition to full production. Ability to work extended hours as operational needs require to support projects. Personal Protective Equipment required for this position includes, but is not limited to, hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection and steel-toed boots.
Nevada Copper has some of the best employees in the industry. To retain top talent, we offer some of the best benefits in the industry. Some of the benefits we offer are listed below:
- Full Benefits package
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Vacation and Holiday PTO