100 Years of Experience at Work for You!
Since 1920, the professional men and women of Hubbard Construction have literally paved the way for hundreds of public and private projects that have supported Florida's rise to prominence.
Hubbard is one of Florida's largest heavy civil construction companies. We are proud to be a part of Florida's history and we are eager to continue to serve the Florida market and beyond.
The scope of Hubbard's work includes complex highway projects, site development, paving, utility and drainage systems, surveying, RAP and hot mix sales, and state-of-the-art bridge building. We provide multiple delivery systems in design-build, bid-build, public/private-partnerships and design-build finance.
Hubbard Construction's parent company, Eurovia, operates through a network of 330 agencies and 770 production sites, in 17 countries around the world.
An Asphalt Paving Machine Operator is an hourly-rated skilled craft position that performs on construction projects any combination of the duties described more fully, below. An Asphalt Paving Machine Operator typically performs a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates.
- Understand and execute paving procedures while following instructions to meet the standards of the project
- Must follow safe operation of paver
- Must be able to set feed sensors
- Must be able to determine the placement of materials correctly
- Daily maintenance (lubrication), keeping equipment clean, safe pre-start including daily fluid level checks on oil, water and fuel
- Responsible for daily maintenance of equipment to remain in proper and safe working order
- Responsible for notifying supervisor if equipment needs to be repaired
- Visual safety inspection for leaks and damage to machine before operation
- Understand, meet and plan grade cross slope requirements
- Placement of material in front of screed
- Setting of flow
- Ability to operate equipment holding a straight line
- Keep equipment clean
- Proper paving speed to match truck delivery
- Adjust screed crown and strike off
- Set up and use automatic grade and slope control
- Understand segregation and how to prevent it due to operation of the paving machine
- General knowledge of hydraulic and electrical systems of the paver
- Must be able to work in a team environment safely and successfully
- Perform incidental work items and duties included within other crafts
- General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires demonstrable previous experience as an Asphalt Paving Machine Operator. A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees. Three to Five (3-5) years or more of industry related experience is required for this position, with an emphasis on roads, highways, and bridges. Must be able to understand paving procedures.
- Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an Asphalt Paving Machine Operator to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constant physical effort, including standing, is required during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day. Employee must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and to stoop, bend, and crouch as required to perform Key Duties.
- Frequently work with hands extended overhead, sometimes in conjunction with the operation of hand power tools.
- Ability to lift, on a frequent basis, at least 50 pounds and carry at least 30 pounds personally, and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Manual dexterity to hand-carry generators, lumber and other construction materials, forms, power tools, and hand tools.
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
- The Operator must be able to climb on and off heavy mobile equipment safely.
- Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that an Asphalt Paving Machine Operator encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
- Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
- Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule which includes days and nights.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. We promote a Drug-Free Workplace.