For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, Industrial Contractors, Inc. and CMS.
We are looking for a team-oriented, detailed and experienced Billing Supervisor to lead, motivate and train the Billing Coordinators and ensure customer billings are done in a timely manner and customer needs are met. This person ensures revenue is captured on all projects and provides support to the Controller as the lead resource for a variety of billing and job costing questions. The ideal candidate has demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills, problem solving skills and the experience, ability and interest in training and mentoring team members - and brings with them initiative, strong customer service and organization skills, team focus and the desire to make an impact.
- Minimum five years’ experience supervising employees; ability to effectively coach, guide and train.
- Minimum two years’ experience in an office setting, including knowledge of customer invoicing procedures.
- Two or four-year degree in Accounting or Business Management preferred.
- Experience in the construction industry is preferred.
- Well-developed computer skills, including MS Office – Excel and Word; and SharePoint.
- Ability to take initiative on projects and programs related to meeting department deadlines and advancing the company objectives.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Experience with customer and/or union audits a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Supervise billing coordinators and the entire billing process.
- Participate in the recruitment process for the team, coordinate continuous training and evaluate individual employee performance. Provide coaching as needed.
- Conduct weekly and monthly team coordination meetings.
- Develop and establish a rapport with internal and external customers; ensure customer needs are met related to all billing and contractual requirements.
- Set up jobs and ensure information is accurate; understand the differences between state and federal funded jobs. Ensure invoices match set rates and contract terms.
- Ensure budgets, change orders and phase codes are entered accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maximize gross profit on all jobs; ensure all costs related to billing are captured including equipment, labor, material, etc.
- Ensure that procedures are followed by project managers to enhance reporting on jobs and speed up the collection process (job set-up, budget information, change orders, etc.); provide project manager support as needed.
- Responsible for the implementation of customer required software; serves as the lead on customer audits.
- Create and certify payroll reports; ensure the yearly prevailing wage reporting with department managers and local unions is submitted by the deadline provided.
- Process weekly billing for contract, lump sum, service and T&M jobs.
- Create and update estimating and billing rates.
- Serves as the billing lead / resource to respond to issues or concerns from departments.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company; activities would include sister company support as needed.
- Executes special projects assigned by accounting leadership and performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills, problem solving skills. Experience, ability and interest in training and mentoring team members.
- Self-motivated: shows initiative, has strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Team focus; able to work with different personalities in a positive manner, communicate clearly and effectively.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- 401K with match
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment