Upstate Shredding- Weitsman Recycling, headquartered in Owego, NY, is currently looking for a Director of Human Resources. As the East Coast’s largest privately owned scrap metal processor and recycling center, and one of the largest operations of its type in the United States, Upstate Shredding-Weitsman Recycling is looking for an individual who will be successful as both a strategic change agent and a “roll up your sleeves” leader of all HR Departmental initiatives. The ideal candidate will have direct experience in the material processing and/or manufacturing environment and have experience supporting employees in multiple locations.
In this role, the Director of Human Resources will direct the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of key Human Resources initiatives for the company’s multiple facilities. This position will provide leadership, planning, and oversight of all HR initiatives and ensure that the programs support and reflect the company’s strategic objectives.
Responsibilities include the development of effective Human Resource strategies to support the overall business objectives including organizational design, change management, employee relations, recruitment and retention strategies, employee development and communications, employment law, and compensation and benefits. In addition, the Director of Human Resources will provide management, leadership, and direction to the HR staff and act as a senior-level advisor to the company’s leadership team regarding the company’s human resources trends and issues.
The right candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Ten (10) years of experience in Human Resources with at least five (5) years at the Director level.
- Direct experience in the material processing and/or manufacturing environment.
- Current knowledge of State and Federal employment law, including experience with practical application and interpretation of employment law.
- HR certification such as PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently, provide expertise, and guide internal team members through various organizational development initiatives.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees of a company, from entry level to the leadership team.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and manage multiple tasks.
- HR problem analysis and resolution at both strategic and functional levels.
- Experience leading a full HR Department, including payroll processing.
This company is an equal opportunity employer.