At Balfour Beatty in the Florida, we are seeking a construction interns for summer assignments in Orlando and Jacksonville. We are looking for a candidate who in interested in a hands-on internship experience with a commercial construction company. Opportunities exist within our preconstruction or operations departments. If you have a passion for what you do, a strong drive to achieve results, the ability to solve problems creatively, and a dedication to client service and relationship management, we invite you to join us.
- Learn about managing the project budget by controlling expenditures, coordinating owner and subcontractor billings, identifying work not covered by subcontractor, and ensuring successful office support related to overall cost and schedule.
- Learn about Safety and Quality Control programs and how to coordinate actions to address problems.
- Learn about company procedures, the correspondence process and handling, etc.
- Learn how to review and process submittal data and shop drawings.
- Understand how to coordinate submittals, deliveries, etc. that affect the project schedule with the Superintendent.
- Monitor/review weekly and monthly status reports and weekly subcontractor meeting minutes, change orders, etc. to understand process.
- Understand change documents and change proposal requests for price review.
- May join other team members at meetings with architect and owner representatives to understand information required by owner, necessary progress reports and summaries, and how action plans from owner/architect meetings address all outstanding issues related to the project.
- Learn how changes, clarifications, directives, RFIs, etc. are updated on “as-built” plans and coordinated with company supervision and subcontractors/suppliers.
- Learn how to maintain RFI logs and change request log.
- Currently enrolled in a Construction Management , Engineering, or related education program
- Prior internships or work experience helpful but not required.
- Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Able to work 40 hours a week for the duration of the 12-week program
- Able to learn software systems including but not limited to Microsoft Office suite, ProCore, BlueBeam,
- Participate in training, seminars, task team meetings, etc.
- Demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, etc.
- Possess good self-organizational and management skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.