AmeriCorps Program Associate - National
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging AmeriCorps members and community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. We host an AmeriCorps program that recruits over 300 members annually who are committed to a year of service in support of our mission. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at http://www.readingpartners.org/.
The high level:
Reading Partners’ AmeriCorps Program Associate (ACPA) is part of a growing AmeriCorps team collaborating to act as a catalyst for people to bring their best selves to Reading Partners’ students, communities, and teammates. The AmeriCorps Program Associate’s main role is to contribute to a positive AC member experience by owning, improving, and directing the management of HR and administrative systems for the Reading Partners AmeriCorps/VISTA program (AC/V) and its members. This role supports all aspects of AC/V compliance and ACPA functions. The ACPA Associate is tasked with creating, expanding, and streamlining the ACPA functions, including benefits administration, personnel records, background checks, ACPA systems and reporting, payroll, and regulatory compliance for all AC/V members of the organization.
This role is an opportunity to foster relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, alongside the larger AmeriCorps Team. The role is fully dedicated to supporting AC/V members and managers, is savvy at the art of both creating and driving projects, is goal-oriented and detail-oriented, and is excited by operational management, strategy, and execution.
What you’ll do:
On a year-round basis, work closely with all regions and the AC team to ensure 100% AC/VISTA grant compliance.
- Lead and execute AmeriCorps onboarding and offboarding processes annually ensuring 100% compliance.
- Execute all AC Member verification and background checks in line with AC/V and RP legal policies and procedures. Adjudicates as necessary.
- Compile, maintain, and audit all AC member files, ensuring accurate and compliant personnel records for AC grant and organizational audits.
- Provide detailed reports to AmeriCorps Program Managers and the organization as needed throughout the year to support grant management.
- Maintain knowledge of and ensure organizational compliance with federal and state regulations concerning each AC grant and program in consultation with the ACPMs and Director of National Service.
- Manage and execute communication with regions around compliance timelines, expectations, and needs.
- In collaboration with the AC Team build the capacity of regions to execute compliance requirements throughout the year.
- Ensure Reading Partners maintains original records and back-up for all member data metrics submitted to CNCS in grant progress reports.
- Manage Reading Partners’ deep storage system and secure digital storage systems.
- Manage seasonal temporary staff to support during peak periods of onboarding and offboarding processes.
- Manages and executes team support around compliance work.
Create sustainable operations systems and processes to drive, manage, and perform all HR Administration functions for AC/VISTA members nationwide.
- Enter and maintain data for all AC/V members into internal and AmeriCorps based reporting systems, ensuring accurate and compliant personnel records.
- Work closely with the organization’s Payroll Specialist to ensure accurate AC payroll.
- Collaborate with AmeriCorps Program Managers and the HR/Talent team to execute the development, implementation, and messaging of policies and procedures directly related to AC/V operations and human resources functions.
- Develop new internal systems to streamline AC/V HR operational efficiency through all aspects of the member service term.
- Focus, in particular, on improving AC/V onboarding and offboarding systems.
Lead and own benefits administration for AC/VISTA members.
- Lead all benefits processes for Reading Partners’ AC/V members, including enrollments, terminations, change reporting, claims resolution, and leaves.
- Support RP’s management and execution of special resources and benefits for ACMs
- Drives all AC/VISTA member learning, understanding, and communication of benefit plans and enrollment provisions through orientation and ongoing support.
- Manage all aspects of relationships with benefits partners.
Support AC/VISTA Member Relations to meet compliance requirements.
- Lead on first-tier accommodations (ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act) requests and determines proper escalation when required.
- Support AmeriCorps grant compliance by ensuring 100% completion of all mid-year and end of year AC reviews by all AC members, and other requirements set forth by the grants.
- In collaboration with ACPM provide support to managers in documenting member performance.
- Coordinating with regional leads to provide training, materials, and support around processes related to onboarding, offboarding, background checks, and compliance.
- Provide excellent customer service to AC/V members
Supports additional team functions as needed, including the identification and execution of special projects related to departmental priorities and goals.
How you’ll do it:
Drive for Results:
- Demonstrated aptitude for creating and completing projects quickly and accurately in the face of challenging environments. Strong ability to prioritize, streamline, and design scalable systems. A high degree of comfort and hunger in developing innovative new systems to streamline departmental operations.
- Ability to cultivate and leverage strong relationships both locally and remotely. Proven track record in providing great client service experiences, solving problems, and communicating effectively with all internal and external stakeholders. Develop close partnerships with Payroll Specialist, all members of the AC team, Talent team, benefits partners, and regional stakeholders to provide top tier service for Reading Partners staff and AC/V Members.
- Strong skill set in effectively leading an initiative with many stakeholders to fruition in a timely manner. Ability to motivate people with competing priorities toward a goal. Ability to take personal initiative and execute on key priorities.
- A passion for details, collaboration, and working with others and independently to problem solve. Ability to execute details quickly and to communicate effectively to a wide group of stakeholders. Professional organization and prioritization skills - can take a list of tasks and get them done.
- Strong aptitude for effective communication remotely and in-person with internal and external partnerships. Ability to set up successful systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and break down complex topics for a variety of audiences. High competency with written communication.
- Maintains a strong sense of calm during peak periods. Ability to rally others to achieve organizational goals. Strong ability to assess and address sensitive situations. A sense of humor.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have previous experience with AmeriCorps programs and/or grant compliance
- Have a strong commitment to service and support of all internal teammates and stakeholders
- Have strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and delegate when necessary
- Have experience in either benefits administration or grants management
- Are adept at learning new technology platforms quickly and efficiently
- Take initiative - both independently and in a team setting
- Are flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Have demonstrated success in customer service, office management, or related operations role
- Are interested in working at an organization amidst great growth and change
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
Bonus points if you:
- Experience with SalesForce, eGrants, OnCorps, and other ESS tools
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work, and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other stuff you need to know:
- Travel: This position is geo-flexible and may require travel to the National Headquarters in Oakland, CA to manage storage file needs.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with AmeriCorps Members and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role.