Tarlton Corporation has served as a St. Louis-based general contracting and construction management firm since 1946. We have built strong ties to the region, excellent working relationships with a wide-ranging list of established and new clients, a commitment to project and workforce diversity, and a carefully laid foundation to promote continued growth. Tarlton is a Women's Business Enterprise as certified by the City of St. Louis, State of Missouri and Women's Business Enterprise National Council.
Tarlton is a closely held, client-driven corporation employing an average of 300 people. Our organizational structure is relatively flat so clients and personnel can benefit from continual access to our executives, who take an active role in all Tarlton operations.
Our range of preconstruction and construction services in the commercial, institutional, industrial, life sciences, healthcare and concrete markets is extensive. Tarlton works on projects diverse in scope and size, in both renovation and new construction.
Our philosophy is simple: Take care of the client first and treat others as we would like to be treated. No project is too large or too small if it’s work a client wants completed.
Join our team!
MAJOR GOALS AND PURPOSE
The Preconstruction Manager will
- Provide conceptual and Design/Build estimating services that reliably meet our customers' varied needs in the life science, institutional, healthcare, and commercial markets.
- Provide accurate conceptual cost estimates for projects based upon conceptual information and utilizing past experience/knowledge.
- Maintain working knowledge of industry related costs and utilize source material. Develop current costing data based on new construction technology, innovations and market trends. Work with subcontractors and suppliers to obtain market feedback on select scopes of work.
- Implement Design/Build principles to help our clients save time and money and meet their deadlines and budgets.
- Work closely with the Owner, Architect, Engineers and Tarlton's Project Management to ensure a quality product through the preparation of detailed and comprehensive project budgets, design documents and construction schedules.
- Perform a detailed review of design documentation to coordinate scopes of work, determine project risk and mitigation techniques, perform constructability reviews, evaluate construction systems, alternatives and value engineering potential, develop beneficial construction sequencing, and prepare preliminary preconstruction and construction schedules.
- Assist in hard bid/plan and specification estimates.
- Evaluate the scope of the project.
- Review the specifications and project documents.
- Review existing facilities if applicable.
- Review the existing as-built documents.
- Review the site plan and surveys for conflicts with the new documents.
- Prepare a narrative report outlining budgeted scope of work including graphic representation, budget back-up information, cost comparisons, etc.
- Prepare complete detailed takeoff and pricing using minimal information. Organize cost information in logical and/or required categories, and prepare cost presentations as required.
- Evaluate alternatives and opportunities for value engineering including material, construction methods, etc.
- Coordinate with project management teams for input on general conditions, construction sequencing and duration, site logistics, subcontractor interface, market feedback, etc., to support development of conceptual budgets.
- Budget and cost verification throughout the project.
- Periodic project construction review, analysis and updates with clients.
- Prepare and execute subcontractor and material supplier solicitation.
- Prepare project General Conditions costs (overhead and cost reimbursables).
- Consult, coordinate and summarize subcontractors and material suppliers scopes of work resulting in complete, final budgets/proposals.
BEHAVIORAL TRAITS, ATTITUDES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Must be self-motivated and have the skills to motivate others.
- Must be able to communicate effectively - verbally and written.
- Must be an efficient time manager.
- Must have high ability to handle change.
- Understand deadlines.
- Aptitude for planning, organizing and problem solving.
PREREQUISITES (i.e., Education, Experience)
- Engineering/architectural or construction management degree is preferred.
- Must have conceptual estimating experience.
- Design/Build estimating experience favorable.
- Great Company Culture!
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental Vision, Life and LTD
- Vacation and Sick Pay
- 401k with Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement