Come start your career at Geosyntec in Columbia, Maryland, a place where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough geoenvironmental problems. As a Staff Geotechnical Engineer in Columbia, MD, you’ll have the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge to real-world situations while learning the business skills needed for a successful consulting career. You’ll be working with an exceptional team on a variety of geotechnical projects involving landfills, contaminated sites, earth-retaining structures, deep and soft/weak foundations, and dams and water containment structures, performing site characterization; landfill design and construction; forensic investigations and litigation support; geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring; numerical analysis of stability and deformation; and geohazard / earthquake characterization / mitigation.
Our Columbia office consists of approximately 50 professionals and support staff and is located 30 minutes from Baltimore and 45 minutes from Washington DC. Columbia was the first planned community in the US, and together with adjacent Ellicott City, is consistently listed in the top 10 of Best Places to Live in the US. If you possess the qualifications, attributes, and desire to experience a new culture, Geosyntec will provide the opportunity.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR as #53 among the Top 500 Design Firms, and with multiple Top 20 ENR rankings in specialty areas, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting geotechnical field investigations;
- Monitoring heavy civil construction projects;
- Performing and reviewing engineering calculations, such as slope stability, settlement, bearing capacity, seismic, seepage, and stormwater modelling;
- Geotechnical and environmental site characterization;
- Earthquake engineering;
- Landfill design and permitting;
- Dam and levee evaluations;
- Developing construction documents; and
- Writing and reviewing engineering reports.
Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Varies but depending on project opportunities. Up to 25%
- Overnight travel: Rarely, but as needed for some project sites. Up to 10%.
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture. Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor’s degree in civil and/or environmental and/or geotechnical and/or geological engineering. (required)
- Advanced degree in geotechnical engineering. (preferred)
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior internship or work experience in engineering consulting. (preferred)
- Experience with geotechnical and engineering software such as AutoCAD, Slope/W, and PLAXIS. (preferred)
- Strong oral and technical writing skills. (required)
- Outstanding problem-solving abilities. (required)
- Commitment to career development and growth. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits