Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Assistant Superintendent for our Southwest region. We combine more than 70 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position will collaborate with the Superintendent and/or Project Manager to coordinate field operations, site safety, productivity, schedule, work quality, and trade contractor and supplier coordination. Project scopes are generally less than $5 million or for one component on a large, complex project.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities for this position include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an incident and injury free (IIF) culture.
- Be a champion to support IIF efforts for working safely and building a culture of care and concern for each team member in the workplace.
- Consistently communicate and reinforce the tenets of an IIF workplace.
- Ensure adherence to processes and procedures that support an IIF culture.
- Comply with all company safety requirements and policies.
- Manage on-site construction activities.
- Understand all the plans, specifications, and details for the assigned project; maintain a complete set of updated construction drawings as a permanent record.
- Schedule and procure tools, equipment, and materials necessary for the project; ensure all team members on the jobsite have been trained on the tools and processes necessary to perform their jobs; attend weekly toolbox talks.
- Partner with the project team to provide information in the project start-up and close-out meetings.
- Hold trade contractors accountable for meeting the schedule and performing quality work while maintaining a positive relationship with them.
- Manage, review, and control all project cost codes, budgets, and production units for assigned portions of the project.
- Ensure project quality based on AP’s quality management programs for all assigned areas of the project; participate in creating site-specific quality control plans; monitor compliance and performance.
- Troubleshoot jobsite challenges and offer innovative solutions; document all corrections, changes, and requests.
3. Collaborate in the creation of site-specific safety plans; monitor compliance and performance.
- Support AP’s safety program to strive for Zero Injury on each project; this includes:
- Ensure that all job safety requirements are understood and implemented by all project team members and trade contractors. Collaborate with AP safety support team members as needed.
- Lead or attend on-site safety meetings.
- Review the trade contractors’ safety programs and SDS information in the trade contractor start-up meeting.
- Identify and correct safety hazards on the jobsite; report all safety incidents to AP safety team members.
- Maintain and post OSHA and Company required safety literature.
- Collaborate with other departments in the pre-construction and planning phases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the pre-construction process and participate in the constructability review.
- Assist with the management of the pre-construction schedule.
- Review the plans and specifications for constructability and construction schedules; advise to the project team regarding issues or deficiencies.
- Assist in quantity take-off and pricing estimates.
- Help prepare, coordinate, and update the detailed project schedule with sequence and activity duration including procurement items.
- In collaboration with others, establish the punchlist process and close-out procedures with the Project Manager, owner, and design team before trade contractor work starts; maintain a Zero Punchlist.
- Understand the contract between AP and the owner, the project estimate, budget set-up, and trade contractor and supplier contract scopes.
- Ensure that all subcontractors have met all insurance requirements prior to being onsite.
5. Participate in procuring future projects and help build client loyalty.
- Participate in marketing efforts, presentations, and proposal preparations; support others in determining sequence activities and activity duration on schedules for proposed projects.
- Build and maintain a network of possible and client leads; look for potential leads.
- Participate in at least one industry organization.
- Maintain a positive relationship with the owner and design team throughout the project; understand and help communicate the owner’s goals regarding construction to all field team members.
6. Other responsibilities as assigned.
Job Requirements include:
- History of progressively more experience and proven results including:
- Post-secondary or bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or related field and 2+ years of related experience or a high school diploma or equivalent and 7+ years of directly related experience.
- Familiarity with construction management software such as Procore, MS Project, P6, Excel, AutoCad, Revit, and project management software.
- Solid understanding of building plans and specifications, value engineering, and life cycle costing.
- Proven results in driving safety initiatives and compliance.
- Current or ability to become current with OSHA 30 and company safety requirements.
- Ability to climb, walk, lift, carry, push, and complete repetitive motion activities throughout the day.
- Ability to occasionally lift, move, and/or carry up 100 pounds.
- Ability to travel to project sites and availability to accept long-term out-of-own assignments.
- Willingness to work in various (sometimes extreme) climate conditions.
- Ability to obtain a forklift certification preferred.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Experience in complex projects as an active participant in driving growth and change; demonstrated effectiveness in driving operations and executing plans.
- Strong analytical and logic skills with the ability to maintain a high degree of precision on detailed work.
- Developed skills (written, oral, and listening) in order to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple priorities simultaneously under time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful and lasting relationships.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer