Telecom Horizontal Directional Drill Locator/Operator
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Mears Group, a Quanta Services Company, safely provides comprehensive infrastructure services to fiber, wireline and wireless carrier customers within the communications industry. With a focus on delivering for our customers at the highest quality and service, we need smart, dedicated individuals that take pride in their work and have the savvy to thrive in a rapidly growing environment.
We are seeking a HDD Locator for the San Jose, CA area. The ideal candidate will have experience in telecommunications Underground work with the ability to locate for an HDD crew utilizing primarily late model subsite systems as well as some Digi-track systems.
• Locate telecom utilities with either Digi-track or Subsite locating systems, preferably both
• Operate equipment, including, but not limited to directional drills, locating systems, trencher, backhoe, excavators.
• Capabilities to operate equipment to trench, place duct, pull cable, and direct bury main-line and drops.
• Must have good communication skills and a positive attitude.
• Valid US Driver's License.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• The ability to work safely, with or without supervision.
• Locator must be knowledgeable with all typical safety procedures and apply them at all times.
• Other duties as required for business purposes.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience and Skills):
• Experience with locating & verify all utilities before construction
• At a minimum, the position requires a good working knowledge of telecommunications construction; familiarity with Horizontal Directional Drills, ability to use cable placement equipment and tools; ability to identify and troubleshoot problems. Individuals must be able to read prints and have knowledge of the underground processes
• Bilingual in Spanish and English
• Commercial Driver’s License
• A good work ethic
• Flexibility to travel
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed most frequently outdoors in weather conditions that vary from below freezing temperatures to heat above 90 degrees, in wet and dry conditions and in rural areas. Employee’s may perform duties around energized and de-energized electric lines and equipment and moving mechanical parts. Work may be performed in confined spaces. Some exposure to odors, gases, dust and dirt may occur. The noise level in the work environment may range from moderate to loud.
Work is heavy and requires exertion of up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Lifting and carrying of 10 to 50 pounds frequently is required. Reaching and lifting overhead is frequent. Job requires standing, crawling, climbing, bending, twisting, pushing, pulling and reaching a majority of the time. Performs work on poles at heights of up to 75 feet, normally in awkward positions. May spend long periods of time driving and/or riding in line construction vehicles to reach remote areas of the service territory.
Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Mears.