Telecom Underground Operator
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Mears Group, a Quanta Services Company, safely provides comprehensive infrastructure services to fiber, wireline and wireless carrier customers within the communications industry. With a focus on delivering for our customers the highest quality and service, we need smart, dedicated individuals that take pride in their work and have the savvy to thrive in a rapidly growing environment.
We are currently seeking an experienced Heavy Equipment Operator to work Telecommunications Construction projects in the San Jose, CA region.
In this role you would:
- Operate heavy equipment to trench, place duct, pull cable, and direct bury main-line and drops
- Locate & verify all utilities before construction
- Maintain and/or repair our customer's telecommunications facilities
- Be able to use cable placement equipment and tools
- Be able to identify and troubleshoot problems
- Be able to read prints and have knowledge of the underground process
- Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment, tools, and supplies
- Adhere to strict safety standards while ensuring the highest quality of work is completed efficiently and timely
- Other duties as assigned based on business need
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience and Skills):
- Ability to operate equipment, including, but not limited to a trencher, backhoe, excavators, directional drills
- Familiarity with Horizontal Directional Drills
- Positive attitude, hard work ethic, and a priority for safety
- Reads utility locates, coordinates potholing, and ensures the safety of existing facilities
- Operates motor vehicles during travel to/from jobsites
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Ability to travel
- Class A CDL license
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Flexibility to travel regionally as needed
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed most frequently outdoors in weather conditions that vary from below freezing temperatures to heat above 90 degrees, in wet and dry conditions and in rural areas. Employee’s may perform duties around energized and de-energized electric lines and equipment and moving mechanical parts. Work may be performed in confined spaces. Some exposure to odors, gases, dust and dirt may occur. The noise level in the work environment may range from moderate to loud.
Work is heavy and requires exertion of up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Lifting and carrying of 10 to 50 pounds frequently is required. Reaching and lifting overhead is frequent. Job requires standing, crawling, climbing, bending, twisting, pushing, pulling and reaching a majority of the time. Performs work on poles at heights of up to 75 feet, normally in awkward positions. May spend long periods of time driving and/or riding in line construction vehicles to reach remote areas of the service territory.
Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Mears.