The Clay County Equalization Office is looking for a full-time Assessor.
As an Assessor for the County, you’ll work under the direct supervision of the Director of Equalization and be responsible for performing technical and professional work in establishing real property values for tax assessment purposes.
You’ll perform a variety of duties including:
- Identify properties to be appraised by use of legal description, review of building permits and property appraisal records.
- Assist in the appraisal of improved and unimproved parcels. Calculate land values by classification using market value of comparable land.
- Assist in answering off and on-site inquiries concerning assessment values.
- Maintain accurate records, files and property cards on all properties in taxing jurisdiction.
- Collect field data on all mobile homes and assign value to property
- Coordinate appropriate mobile homes and/or home information to be sent to the County Treasurer.
- Balance all cards and direct totals to the Auditor’s Office.
- Learn and operate the County’s GIS System.
- Process sales/transfers for the South Dakota Department of Revenue Sales Ratio Program
- Process parcel splits.
- Manage the department’s supply inventory.
- And more!
To be qualified for this position, you’ll need:
- High School Diploma or GED plus clerical and math courses. Additional education or real estate experience and/or construction experience preferred.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with safe driving record and be able to drive to various County sites.
- Able to receive South Dakota Department of Revenue Assessor Certification within the first year of employment. Continued education is required to maintain employment.
- Previous construction experience and a knowledge of appraisal methods and laws affecting the appraisal of land, building and personal property preferred.
In addition, we’re looking for someone who:
- Is able to learn state laws governing the assessment and collection for real property taxes, and knowledge of the appraising method.
- Has knowledge of math and statistics
- Has knowledge of the geographic layout of Clay County
- Is able to read legal descriptions
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Has a working knowledge of public records, applied mathematics, and property descriptions
- Is able to effectively work with a variety of people and analyze and resolve problems
We offer outstanding benefits including health insurance and participation in the South Dakota Retirement Plan.
Apply on-line. Applications accepted until the position is filled.