If you’re looking for a place to kick-start your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic employee-owned firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry recognized professionals - Geosyntec is the place for you! As a Senior Staff Engineer in our remediation and geotechnical engineering practice in Chicago, Illinois, you will have the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge to real-world situations while also learning the business skills needed for a successful consulting career.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position include:
- Fieldwork such as soil, surface water and groundwater sampling, drilling and contractor oversight, and quality control/assurance services;
- Monitoring heavy civil, geotechnical, and environmental construction projects;
- Civil design and site layout;
- Preparation and review of engineering design calculations, feasibility studies, drawings, reports, permit applications, volume and cost estimates, construction documents, and construction support services;
- Conducting geotechnical analysis, including but not limited to slope stability, foundation, settlement, and seepage;
- Data analysis, including preparing tables, maps, and figures using AutoCAD, GIS, and/or Environmental Visualization Software (EVS) applications, and database management;
- Developing construction documents;
- Conducting remedy evaluation, cost estimating, design, and implementation;
- Assisting in the development of proposals and other business development activities; and
- Preparation of technical reports, letters, memoranda, plans, specifications, and proposals.
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture.
Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires health and safety, first aid, CPR, and other training, as well as medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our employees to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 60%
- Overnight travel: Up to 30%
Your success is our success. We encourage our employees to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree environmental, civil, or geological engineering. (required)
- Advanced degree in civil, geological, environmental engineering. (preferred)
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification, if applicable. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least one year of related experience; internships and co-op experience will be considered as experience. (preferred)
- Demonstrated strong interest in civil, geotechnical, and environmental engineering. (required)
- Project experience involving environmental field investigations including soil sampling, groundwater and surface water monitoring, and environmental and geotechnical drilling. (preferred)
- Experience with construction quality assurance and/or construction management services. (preferred)
- Experience with implementing and overseeing field investigations and construction projects. (preferred)
- Strong oral and technical writing skills. (preferred)
- Experience with modeling/design tools such as AUTOCAD and ARCGIS. (preferred)
- Ability to obtain OSHA 40-hr HAZWOPER training and refreshers. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting: http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting: http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits