Since 1955, Nicholson Construction Company has been setting the industry standard for performance and technical innovation in geotechnical construction. We have built our reputation by performing the highest quality work and providing the most innovative solutions on the widest range of demanding and high profile projects. Nicholson is part of a global network of unparalleled geotechnical resources and expertise, specializing in deep foundations, earth retention, ground treatment and ground improvement.
- High visibility role as part of the Midwest’s business development and commercial team charged with outreach to and development of client and consultant relationships, with the ultimate goal of bringing in business leads. Works with the Midwest team in support of the short and long-term revenue/margin goals.
- Outreach to clients and consultants, including organizing and presenting a significant amount of in person meetings, presentations, and lunch and learns, to educate and familiarize these contacts on the services and solutions Nicholson provides. The Area Manager and others will facilitate this outreach.
- Find upstream opportunities for the Midwest that are in line with the objectives of the region’s business strategy.
- Provides support in developing the Midwest business strategy and annual plan.
- Tracks and manages activities and project leads in the companies CRM, Salesforce.
- Reports weekly progress on sales/BD activities and upstream leads.
- Develop up-stream project knowledge to assist owners or engineers in the technical and commercial choices for a better solution.
- For high target design-build projects or those with technical proposals, coordinate the technical proposal. Assist with other proposals, as necessary.
- Hands over the bidding process to the estimating team once an opportunity is advertised for bid, issued as an RFP, or enters a negotiated contract.
- As required, assists in the negotiation and closing of the deal with the support and under the authority of the Area Manager.
- Provide support to the operations team when upstream knowledge and customer relationship is a benefit to the project.
- Work in accordance with the strategy set forth in the Midwest Strategy and Business Plan.
- Develop accurate market knowledge through interaction with contacts for future strategy.
- Develop relationship with customer decision-makers.
- Gain a knowledge of Nicholson’s project experience to leverage in interactions with contacts and project pursuits.
- Ensures that all Nicholson policies are followed (i.e. safety, quality, drug testing, travel, business ethics, etc.)
- Works on Nicholson initiatives as assigned
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree is required, along with a minimum of 5 years within the construction and/or geotechnical fields. Heavy civil construction knowledge is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as Project Manager is required, including sales or business development experience (including client meetings, screening and evaluating project opportunities, and making presentations about project work and solutions).
- Advance skills in relationship and contact creation, as well as strategic vision in project acquisitions.
- Knowledge in bidding process and software (HeavyBid preferred) as well as contract review and negotiations.
- Knowledge of scheduling software.
- Proven business development and sales skills
- Understanding of geotechnical design, construction, and risks with an ability to translate that understanding to clients and consultants.
- Located in Chicago, IL or Kalamazoo, MI
- Significant amount of travel, often overnight and away from home (travel in accordance with company policy)
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Safe Harbor Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation
- Personal days
- Sick days
Nicholson Construction participates in E-Verify.
Please be advised that all interested candidates are REQUIRED to attach a copy of your resume in order to be considered.
In an effort to foster a diverse workforce Nicholson Construction encourages applications from minorities, veterans, women and individuals with disabilities. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese