The Unloading Stevedore/Laborer is responsible for performing various tasks relating to the loading/unloading of various aggregates and other materials from barge to truck. Must possess skills in dependability, work ethic, time management, communications, and safety awareness. This position reports to the Unloading Operations Manager.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs general labor activities including, but not limited to: shoveling, sweeping, etc.
- Operates unloading and loading equipment and heavy machinery including material handlers, Skid Steer Loader, Front-End Loader, etc.
- Routinely consults personnel on machine specifications and safety procedures for specific job tasks to ensure efficient and safe site operations.
- Conducts routine inspections before operating equipment to identify needed maintenance or repairs.
- Performs or requests necessary repairs and adjustments to equipment.
- Communicates and reports on site activities when required.
- Effectively completes unloading and related tasks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Expertise Desired:
- Must be COACHABLE.
- Working knowledge of operating machinery.
- Knowledge of unloading/loading procedures and techniques.
- Ability to follow instructions and communicate effectively to subordinates.
- Ability to complete safety awareness training and lead by example.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to quickly identify problems and efficiently solve them.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One to two years of related experience desired.
- Must have and maintain a valid/current Drivers license.
- Must have dependable transportation to designated TRS locations, no exceptions.
- Must be able to work various hours/holidays/weekends.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background and drug screening.
- Must meet "fit for duty" requirements upon job offer (pre-employment physical, drug test, etc.).
- The employee must meet physical requirements including but not limited to, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing up/down ladders and stairs, negotiating uneven and moving surfaces.
- Must be able to work in difficult conditions with exposure to all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, wind, heat, etc.).
- Must be comfortable working barges.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds and work at protected heights up to 40 feet.
About Terral RiverService, Inc:
Terral RiverService (TRS) is a Family owned business with a continually growing footprint of boats and barges throughout most of the inland waterway system of the US. We specialize in bulk storage, material handling, river, road and rail logistics along the Mississippi River system, the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and the inland waterways of Louisiana and southern Arkansas. With our growing fleet of push boats, river barges and modern dock operations strategically located throughout the Lower Mississippi River Valley, we are outfitted to transport, handle and store virtually any commodity needed in the marketplace. TRS has over 400 employees and has operations in multiple states.