For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our customers, offering services in industrial construction, plant maintenance, specialty fabrication, plumbing & HVAC, architectural metal and roofing, thermal insulation and roofing, commercial and industrial service. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, CMS Mechanical Services and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are looking for a self-motivated, detailed and collaborative Project Safety Manager to join our team in Duluth. This individual is responsible for the implementation, administration and oversight of the company’s safety program at a specific project worksite. The ideal candidate will take an active leadership role in the identification, elimination, and control of hazardous conditions that may lead to injury and/or property damage. They will help define safety standards, best management practices, and analytical techniques to evaluate jobsite conditions for hazards and assist project management and field leadership with pre-planning for and implementation of site-specific safety plans. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is interested in growing their career and making a positive impact in this role with Jamar.
- Must be able to work onsite at customer location in Duluth, MN area; may require extended hours to support customer and project needs.
- Minimum three years’ experience in a safety-related field.
- Working knowledge of OSHA standards is required; CHST certification is preferred.
- Proficient computer skills in MSOffice, to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial safety or a related field is preferred.
- Industrial/commercial construction experience is preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per company policy.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with work crews, field leadership, project management, the general contractor and client.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide full-time site safety management for assigned worksite.
- Perform safety audits and evaluations; create site-specific safety plans, produce reports regarding observations, provide corrective actions and communicate findings to superintendents, project managers and company leadership. Attend customer meetings as required.
- Provide incident and injury management support to assigned project; conduct incident investigations and maintain site-required documentation related to safety including reports.
- Coordinate and actively participate in claims management.
- Develop content and materials for site-specific training and education programs for workers, project management and field leadership to include regulatory/required safety training. Responsible for conducting new hire safety orientation and weekly safety meetings.
- Assist with the development, refinement, implementation and promotion of the company’s safety & loss prevention programs and initiatives, with specific emphasis on site location.
- Support programs, policies and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company and parent corporation, to include input in strategic planning and an overall willingness to share any and all ideas.
- Manage and execute assigned tasks in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Represent the company both internally and externally in a professional manner consistent with our values and mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic.
- Team, collaborative approach to work.
- Efficient and organized, professional
- Customer oriented, with effective verbal and written communication skills
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work in a variety of conditions, including industrial facilities, extreme heat, cold, etc.
- Physically able to climb ladders, stairs, etc.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant and/or customer environments. PPE required when in the plant, yard, customer, or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment