Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403(b))
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability after 1 year of employment
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident, and Vision
The primary responsibility of the Laborer/Maintenance Worker is to perform inspections of homes and housing units of program-eligible participants and identify and address repair needs. Duties include basic repairs and maintenance of drywall, painting, plumbing, electrical, woodworking, and carpentry.
SCHEDULE AND WAGE
8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. $14.35 to $15.63 per hour depending on experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conduct routine inspections of premises and equipment.
2. Perform routine preventative maintenance.
3. Handle basic repairs and maintenance of areas described above in the position goal.
4. Overseeing contractors when professional repairs are necessary.
5. Diagnosing mechanical issues and correcting them.
6. Repairing machines, equipment, or structures as necessary.
7. Provide feedback on dangerous situations, liability issues, safety, and health-related issues.
8. Turning units within the property manager’s time frame.
9. Cleaning out exited units.
10. Assisting property manager with evictions.
11. This position is part of the On-Call maintenance team.
12. Other duties as assigned by the Housing Stabilization Director.
1. Support the organization's mission, vision, values, policy, and procedure by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
2. Demonstrates personal commitment to HACAP through quality job performance, a sense of responsibility for high achievement, professional appearance, awareness of current events throughout HACAP, and positive promotion of HACAP.
3. Consistently work positively and cooperatively with fellow Team Members.
4. Consistently demonstrate the ability to respond to flexibly changing situations to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
5. Consistently come to work on time, working as scheduled, and leaving at the scheduled time.
6. Maintain appropriate attire and good grooming habits to support HACAP’s desire for safe and efficient operations, providing greater service and better customer relations.
7. Must possess high integrity and ensure confidentiality of any information concerning an employee, client, family, financial condition, or personal peculiarities is strictly maintained.
8. Ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage, and destruction within HACAP as required by HIPAA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Minimum of six (6) months of hands-on experience performing weatherization and/or housing rehabilitation duties
3. Good knowledge of safety practices regarding the proper use of power and/or hand tools and equipment utilized to perform home weatherization/rehabilitation services
4. Demonstrated ability and efficiency to perform carpentry and paint stabilization
5. Demonstrated ability to understand and follow specification write-ups
Skills and/or Abilities
1. Accurately perform routine mathematical computations
2. Follow and communicate instructions
3. Work with the public in situations requiring tact, poise, and diplomacy
4. Work in adverse weather conditions; tight workspaces
5. Perform duties independently
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Must be able to wear negative pressure respirators. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Proper safety equipment will be provided when needed based on the work performed.