For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, Industrial Contractors, Inc. and CMS.
We are looking for a team-oriented, detailed and experienced Assistant Controller to join our Finance management team. This position is responsible for the preparation of financial statements, maintaining GAAP and SOX compliance with internal accounting procedures and practices, and serving the needs of the business to achieve objectives through financial reporting, risk management, budgets and forecasting and customer service. This role also oversees and manages A/P and A/R and works closely with billing and payroll teams.
The ideal candidate will manage multiple projects, meet all deadlines, analyze and make decisions, and develop and maintain a collaborative team environment. They will actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company and bring with them initiative, excellent problem-solving and organization skills, and the desire to make an impact at Jamar.
- Four-year degree in accounting or finance is required.
- At least five years relevant experience in a finance role, with excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes including budgeting, financial closure, reporting, data analysis and forecasting.
- Knowledge of construction accounting, percent of completion revenue recognition is preferred.
- Knowledge of SOX controls and compliance preferred.
- Must have proficiency with Microsoft Suite products with emphasis on Excel. Additional experience with accounting software is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepare monthly draft financial statements including statement design and compliance with official guidelines and requirements.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year end close financial reports.
- Support and supervise accounts receivable and accounts payable duties.
- Work with the Controller to create accounting practices, policies and internal controls that follow legal guidelines, established accounting principles and established best practices.
- Prepare and analyze project reports, account reconciliations and journal entries, and fixed asset schedules in accordance with company policies and practices.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly tax return documentation (940, 941, sales and use tax)
- Assist with budget preparation, strategic planning, forecasts and audits; maintain document management system for various reports and to use with audit requests/compliance.
- Review project manager forecasts of cost at completion to facilitate accuracy of the periodic financial statements
- Perform rate reviews as needed to ensure compliance with union contracts and government agencies/rates (i.e. unemployment, workers comp, fringes, etc.)
- Provides customer service to department managers as needed.
- Lead or participate in special projects as needed.
- Complete additional assignments and special projects as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time and meet all deadlines; can analyze and make recommendations and decisions.
- Develop and maintain a collaborative team environment; communicate effectively with others and educate the team to keep moving projects forward.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Data entry and keyboarding proficiency with high degree of accuracy.
- Willingness to keep current with continuing education as necessary.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- 401K and Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment