Fiber Optic Splicing Technician
Phoenix, AZ 85254
Job Title: Fiber Optic Splicing Technician
Reports to: Construction Manager
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Perform fiber optic splicing, testing, analysis and general on new and active fiber optic networks. Engage in network planning and fiber splicing scheduling and closeout activities. Assist with additional fiber network construction activities prior to splicing and closeout activities commence.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Based upon level of position, not all functions may apply)
- Read and interpret work orders, specifications, engineering drawings and / or cut sheets to determine work to be done in sequence of task
- Perform loose tube and ribbon splicing in accordance with industry standards (TIA/RUS) and customer specifications
- Conduct splice testing using power meters, OTDRs and other industry standard equipment
- Knowledge and ability to construct industry standard splice enclosures including grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and proper sealing
- Comfortable entering, maintaining and exiting splice enclosures safely
- Comfortable entering manholes and aerial locations to retrieve splice enclosures where required
- Comfortable splicing in both indoor and outdoor settings
- Ensure all splicing work meets customer specifications
- Close out work orders by completing production sheets, verifying installed dimensions and completing close-out checklists and other customer required document deliverables
- Ensure that all work performed considers the safety of all relevant parties, and
- Perform physical construction work such as digging holes, climbing telephone poles, placing and removing poles and anchors, pulling and stringing wire/cable from pole to pole, laying cable and conduit in the ground where required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Based upon level of position, not all may apply)
- Must be reliable and able to work in a team environment
- Excellent reading skills to understand and comprehend all construction warning signs
- Require passing a pre-employment drug test and subsequent random drug tests
- Great attention to safety
- Able to work in high-stress environment with extreme weather fluctuations
- Preferred >5 years of experience as a fiber optic splicing technician
- Knowledge of EXFO equipment and FastReporter 2/3 essential
- Preferred experience with major carrier networks
The position may lift heavy objects, walk, stand, bend and kneel for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
Will be lifting, pushing, pulling or carries heavy objects; using abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support. Must have good manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination and balance. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; stoop; reach; climb; bend; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.