Safety Coordinator | Bouten Construction Company | Spokane, WA
Bouten Construction is deeply committed to the safety and well-being of everyone who comes in contact with our job sites, including those team members who are “inside the fence” and the general public who is “outside the fence.”
There is nothing more important than providing a safe and injury-free environment which is why safety is our #1 value. We have built our safety culture around strong leadership, training, and a deeply held belief that all injuries are preventable.
We are seeking an experienced Safety Coordinator dedicated to continuing and promoting a cohesive safety culture across our organization. The Safety Coordinator will report to our Director of Safety and support our project teams in the proactive implementation of Bouten’s safety protocols to identify and eliminate job site hazards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Director of Safety with program development as needed, including document preparation/formatting, training material preparation, research, etc.
- Support field leadership by conducting research, visiting projects, attending meetings, addressing safety concerns and making recommendations for improvement, formulating and implementing safety policies.
- Use knowledge and independent judgment to provide direction and advice to workers regarding safety practices, policies, and procedures, and determine and implement appropriate corrective measures.
- Conduct safety related trainings and hold safety meetings, as needed, in support of Director of Safety and site supervision.
- Conduct new employee orientation processes.
- Maintain logs and spreadsheets related to safety training and assist with notifications to employees of upcoming events and training, coordinated by Director of Safety.
- Assist the Director of Safety with incident response and investigation, including taking statements, attending appointments with injured workers, assisting with reports, etc.
- Periodically attend DIRT card meetings to ensure proper implementation of the document and process. Conduct spot checks regularly to ensure crews are maintaining the DIRT cards, updated and near the area of work.
- Become familiar with WAC’s (Washington Administrative Code) 296-155, OSHA 29 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 1926, and OAR (Oregon Administrative Rules) Division 3, and all other pertinent safety, health and environmental regulations.
- Coordinate with trade partners and represent Bouten to resolve potential hazards/hazardous situations.
- Conduct routine site inspections, documenting safety related deficiencies on an action item log. Communicate with appropriate parties when follow-up concerning noted items is needed.
- Hard working and committed
- Excellent follow-up and attention to details
- Sense of urgency on important matters
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Team-oriented, collaborative, resourceful, and positive attitude
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain focus on goals, combined with the flexibility to pivot when necessary
- A self-starter, results-oriented individual
- 3+ years of experience in a safety role in the commercial construction industry
- Bachelor’s degree in safety management preferred
- Health and Safety (EHS) education and/or certification (CHST, OHST, ASP or CSP) preferred
- Working knowledge of safety/environmental principles and techniques, Worker’s Compensation regulations, claims management and ability to identify and resolves safety hazards
- Commercial Construction industry experience preferred
- Travel to jobsites in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint); and the ability to write pre-task plans, Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) and work plans
- 100% company paid medical, dental and vision premiums for employee and family
- 401k with company match $1 for $1 up to 6%
- Continuing education and training
- Vehicle allowance
- Relocation assistance
All employees and job applicants are guaranteed an equal employment opportunity. Bouten will not discriminate against any individual based on a protected status, including race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protected status under Federal, State or local laws.