Southeastern Electric Cooperative, in the Sioux Falls, SD area, is looking for a Chief Financial Officer. This key role is responsible for all aspects of the firm's internal financial management. The CFO’s main duty is to manage and coordinate the affairs of Finance and Administration Department in a manner which produces maximum results in financial accounting, fixed asset accounting, capital credit accounting, risk management, miscellaneous receivable billing and collection, accounts payable administration, payroll administration, RUS and governmental compliance and other related financial and administrative services.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Develop, direct and control departmental activities to provide accurate financial records, information systems and reports to assist management in day-to-day operation of the Cooperative.
- Keep all records in accordance with prescribed system of accounts and directs development of training programs to ensure compliance with various rules, regulations, policies and procedures of regulatory agencies.
- Develop and maintain good financial and internal controls to provide, on a current basis, all financial records and related records in a safe and efficient manner. Oversees timely compliance with financial reporting requirements of federal, state and local agencies and provides information and assistance during audit engagements.
- Maintain good cash management of general funds to ensure prompt payment of legal obligations and provide a maximum return on funds available for investment.
- Direct activities of supervised personnel and effectively communicates responsibilities, relationships and authorities.
- Responsible for all direct and indirect reports in the Finance/Administration Department.
- Participate in updates and development of viewpoints, objectives, policies and operating procedures in coordination with CEO and assist with interpretation or clarification.
- Provide assistance to department heads in preparation and development of budget and annual work plans in relation to personnel, facilities, equipment and supplies. Coordinate, consolidate and prepare budgets.
- Analyze operating results for comparison with budget and long range plans in order to make appropriate recommendations.
- Review and handle all insurance related matters, in consultation with CEO.
- Oversee all Human Resource functions.
- Assist CEO in preparation of monthly board meeting materials, prepares minutes of board meetings and special reports as requested.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of, in consultation with CEO and appropriate staff, long range financial forecasts, load forecasts, cost of service/retail rate studies, loan applications and other administrative documents.
- Provide department personnel opportunity for professional development. Direct and assign work to department personnel and authorizes overtime. Approve all department leave and coordinates with other departments when necessary.
- Delegate authority to department personnel while retaining full responsibility. Determines employee attitudes on organizational goals and motivates department personnel toward accomplishment of those goals.
- Conduct an ongoing financial analysis, prepares or oversees the preparation of monthly financial and statistical reports and provides the CEO a monthly financial report suitable for presentation at board meetings and annual membership meetings.
- Monitor all related requirements of governmental and financial agencies for proper compliance and reporting.
- Arrange and participate in staff and employee meetings, prepares meeting agendas in coordination with CEO and management staff.
- Administer filing of claims related to liability, property damage, etc.
- Coordinate development, implementation and revisions of wage and salary departmental plan and counsels with management staff on recommendations of wage and salary adjustments to CEO.
- Prepare recommendations to CEO, in consultation with management staff as necessary, for improvements or indicates areas of potential improvements in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Review construction work order inventories and monitors compliance with RUS regulations and requirements regarding loan fund advances. Prepares and submits requisition of loan funds in consultation with CEO.
- Analyze public's understanding and acceptance of policies, plans, objectives and programs.
- Attend board, committee, safety, training, annual meetings as needed/required.
- Promote safe working practices and report all accidents involving personnel, assigned equipment, and/or materials and supplies; and any close calls, hazards and/or safety violations.
- Maintain a level of continuing education to keep informed on current developments in related areas.
- Demonstrate knowledge of EEO policy; Show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educate others on the value of diversity; Promote a harassment-free environment; Build a diverse workforce.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- And more!
Here’s what you’ll need to be successful:
- Minimum of a Bachelors in Accounting, Finance or Business related fields. CPA preferred. Master’s degree preferred
- 10+ years of progressive Accounting experience preferably in electric distribution system administration with a history of strong financial controls contributions
- Ability to learn quickly and apply seasoned judgement as necessary to complete tasks and projects timely and correctly with minimal supervision
- Strong technology knowledge with experience in NISC and Microsoft Office Suite
- Mastery skill level of Excel and advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
Here’s what will get you noticed:
- A track record that supports process improvement and initiative in identifying and accomplishing opportunities to improve processes
- Demonstrated aptitude for strategic thinking
- Desire to participate as a leader on the top management team
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills in analyzing financial results and status
- Strong interpersonal and communication experience in effectively communicating key information to a wide range of both internal and external customers
Here’s what we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Life, LTD, STD, Retirement Plan, 401k Plan and AFLAC
- Employer HSA/HRA contributions
- Wellness Program Incentives
- Vacation, Sick and Holidays
Southeastern belongs to an alliance of more than 750 Touchstone Energy cooperatives in 46 states. Touchstone Energy provides a unified face for the small businesses that own and service rural America's 2.5 million miles of power line. By working jointly, this network of small co-ops generate services that would normally require the resources of a national corporation.
Touchstone Energy co-ops are owned by the members they serve and are committed to providing reliable electricity at the lowest price possible. In short, co-ops "look out" for the members they serve.
The Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Cooperative will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.