For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our industrial, commercial, and service customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, Industrial Contractors, Inc., and CMS Mechanical Services.
We are seeking qualified candidates for an Internship in our Industrial department. The ideal Intern will provide field support, coordinate and execute assigned projects and track milestones and priorities. The internship will provide an opportunity to integrate academic learning with business and operational functions and familiarize interns with the specific skills needed to be successful in a construction company. The intern will be required to deliver a “report-out” presentation at the end of the assignment.
- Bachelor or Associate degree from an accredited college, OR undergraduate college student who has completed at least two years post-high school education, Majors include: Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Drafting and Design or related field of study.
- Exhibit technical aptitude and computer skills including MS Office (excel, word, power point).
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Revit, Bluebeam/Adobe Pro, estimating software, Procore/ Primavera or other Project Management software, file sharing systems is helpful.
- iPhone and iPad experience helpful.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner and consistent with our values and mission.
- Valid State Driver’s license.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Coordinate/execute assigned projects and ensure that functionality is developed in a way that complies with business requirements and established methodologies and practices.
- Monitor and report to management on the status of project efforts, anticipating/ identifying issues that inhibit the attainment of project goals. Implement corrective actions as directed.
- Track project milestones and priorities, ensuring that deadlines are met or exceeded.
- Safely manage all operations in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Work closely with assigned department to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of solutions deployed in support of business goals and objectives.
- Prepare and present a report summarizing the intern experience at the end of the assignment.
- Represent the company both internally and externally in a professional manner consistent with our values and mission.
- Actively participate in programs, policies and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company and corporation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to grasp concepts and think analytically to turn them into practical solutions.
- Influences others, develops positive professional relationships
- Possess a self-starter approach to assignments and responsibilities and execute with the highest degree of integrity and accountability.
- Handle sensitive situations and/or materials with tact, diplomacy, and professionalism.
- Meet deadlines and priorities as required.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires travel to project location across the region. Most travel is planned based on project schedule, although may require short notice to travel to job sites.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- Reflective Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness