Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent Care and Medical Care)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Tuition Assistance
Balfour Beatty Rail (BBR), currently undertaking the $1B+ Caltrain Electrification Project in San Mateo, CA are seeking a Signal Inspector to join our team. Estimated completing of the project is set for 2024. The project consists of electrifying a 56-mile corridor from San Francisco to San Jose including construction of overhead catenary systems, substations, track and replacement of rolling stock.
The team has an immediate opening for a Change Engineer. The Change Engineer will provide project engineering and cost control support to the project & construction management team. In addition, will perform tasks related to the collection of cost data required to monitor project budget and estimates.
- Work with Project Management to improve cost reporting, cost controls and forecasting.
- Submit Monthly Pay Estimate and Subcontract Pay Vouchers.
- Track quantities (material/labor) for payment and cost purposes.
- Code daily labor, purchase orders, subcontractor invoices, costs, quantities, actual expenditures, etc. for tracking in cost system.
- Calculate material/work quantity requirements (takeoffs); monitor progress, percentage complete per work item.
- Create or assist in weekly meeting agenda and deliver, MPR, QF Reports, and Project Cash Flow.
- Update and maintain project Baseline & Weekly schedules.
- Maintain documentation to support the company’s position for claims resolution.
- Manage subcontract administration and permanent material supplier through monitoring of correspondence, issue change orders and pay sheet.
- Manage extra work process, change orders and claims management.
- Attend weekly crew safety meeting and monthly mass safety meeting.
- Develop good working relationship with owners, subcontractors and field personnel.
- Maintains knowledge of Balfour Beatty's company values and strategic plan.
- Support published corporate policies.
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction
- 3 years of related cost engineering experience required.
- Experience in resource monitoring techniques (i.e. cost accounting, cost analysis, scheduling, basic estimating) is required.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite is required.
- Provide effective supervision and management of construction work for assigned trades and suppliers to support the requirements of the contract required.
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or a related Engineering field
- Local qualified candidates highly encouraged to apply.
- Rail construction experience highly desired; including heavy civil, concrete work, track work, traction power work, OCS work, underground work and electrical work.
- Experience within rail/track construction projects in a change engineer role preferred.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.