SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Mears Group, a Quanta Services Company, safely provides comprehensive infrastructure services to fiber, wireline and wireless carrier customers within the communications industry. With a focus on delivering for our customers at the highest quality and service, we need smart, dedicated individuals that take pride in their work and have the savvy to thrive in a rapidly growing environment.
We are actively seeking an experienced Fiber Splicer, with knowledge of both outdoor and indoor settings for fiber optics cable. All candidates must adhere to strict safety standards while ensuring the highest quality of work is completed efficiently and timely.
- Installations, troubleshooting, and maintaining all fiber optic systems in businesses, homes, schools, and other organizations to ensure that they are working properly.
- Ability and understanding of OTDR, Red light testing, Live fiber identifier, Power meter to ensure there is adequate performance.
- Creating sensors and performing inspections to make sure that the fiber optic systems do not have defects that could undermine performance.
- Conducting regular inspections of the systems with the aim of locating and repairing any defects detected during the inspections.
- Performing premises cabling and running fiber optic cables underground and aerial.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards.
- Be familiar with standards, read and follow design engineers’ instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures. Prepare engineering field notes.
- Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail.
- Determining solutions to any problems and issues that are preventing the fiber optic systems from performing optimally.
- Constructing a proper splice case as well as preparing and maintaining records, diagrams, picture documentation and schematics relating to the splice case.
- Able to read and create as-build fiber splice reports.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Education, Experience and Skills):
- Knowledge of how-to fusion splice both loose tube and ribbon fiber optic cables.
- Know how to place a mid-sheath splice.
- Ability to work with clients regarding engineering problems, confer with customer contacts while communicating with the Supervisor.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and make good sound decisions based on information given. Ability to multitask and stay organized under pressure.
- Must hold a valid Driver’s License.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Flexibility to travel
- Ability to work non-standard workhours as needed
- Ability to operate buck truck
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed most frequently outdoors in weather conditions that vary from below freezing temperatures to heat above 90 degrees, in wet and dry conditions and in rural areas. Employee’s may perform duties around energized and de-energized electric lines and equipment and moving mechanical parts. Work may be performed in confined spaces. Some exposure to odors, gases, dust and dirt may occur. The noise level in the work environment may range from moderate to loud.
Work is heavy and requires exertion of up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Lifting and carrying of 10 to 50 pounds frequently is required. Reaching and lifting overhead is frequent. Job requires standing, crawling, climbing, bending, twisting, pushing, pulling and reaching a majority of the time. Performs work on poles at heights of up to 75 feet, normally in awkward positions. May spend long periods of time driving and/or riding in line construction vehicles to reach remote areas of the service territory.
Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Mears.