Mears Group, A Quanta Services Company
At Mears Group, we believe in developing and retaining the best people in the industry and providing best value services to our customers in the natural, electric and broadband industries. We take pride in developing the infrastructure of our country by connecting people and resources. As an industry leader, we have built our reputation as a premier provider of services with a solid track record of performance, integrity and – above all – a commitment to safety, quality and our people. This position is responsible for bidding & estimating broadband projects. Depending on experience and capabilities, an estimator will be assigned individual projects and may also assist other estimators and Sr. Estimators with larger bids and proposal responses.
What Do You Offer Us?
- Training and developing of less experienced estimators
- Manage your workload and assist lower level estimators
- Review RFP specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required deliverables of the estimate.
- Participate in bid strategy and presentation meetings as requested.
- Perform labor and material take-offs from provided pdf. Drawings, .kmz files, etc. to determine units and quantities to build the estimate.
- Perform route surveys to collect needed route data to develop methods of construction and quantities to be used to develop an accurate estimate
- Manage RFP process to obtain, review and select quotes from vendors and subcontractors.
- Maintain files of working proposal/bid effort as back-up for estimate figures.
- Develop self-perform crews, review labor and equipment requirements and establish production rates.
- Manage internal RFP process with legal, contracts and other departments for required reviews
- Conduct internal peer cost reviews with operations personnel
- Conduct internal Bid reviews with Sr. Management
What We Offer You:
- Paid on-the-job technical and professional training
- Defined career path for future growth
- Competitive wages and industry-leading benefits including Retirement Plan
What is Required?
- Ability to work with less experienced estimators and assist them with managing their workload and producing the required deliverables.
- Sound understanding of various types of blueprints, design drawings, construction drawings, etc. and the ability to extract the information required to produce an estimate
- Working knowledge of underground and aerial telecom construction methods. The ability to determine best methods of construction to complete a project.
- Ability to understand and interpret contracts/legal documents and the implications on the work.
- Understanding of the inherent risks associated with the work and the means of mitigating the risks
- Experience in Microsoft Office, such as: Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Detailed oriented
- Ability to prioritize and manage activities for multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze information
- Experienced in developing budgets and estimating
- Good communicative and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent presentation skills using Microsoft products.
- 25% travel, often on short notice
- Experience with B2W Estimating software desired
- Experience in the Midwest and Eastern US with a knowledge of market conditions and local contractors is a plus.
This position is subject to the Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) drug & alcohol testing regulations as outlined in 49 CFR Part 382 and/or 49 CFR Part 199.