OBJECTIVE: To assist the ISA Research Center for Farming Innovation with water quality and crop production research. The employee will be expected to collect water quality, soil, and plant samples; conduct crop scouting and imagery analysis; process and organize data; and assist with data analysis. The research will be used to help ISA improve the productivity and sustainability of crop production in Iowa. This role reports to the Sr. Research Program Manager.
- Assist ISA Research on water sample collection throughout the state. Includes taking samples at defined locations, and collection of samples that are dropped off at collection points.
- Assist Field Services Program Managers in execution of on-farm research.
- Interact with farmers in a professional manner to execute experiments and data collection.
- Collect soil and plant samples from farm fields.
- Ability to take direction and work independently.
- Ability to enter and work with data collected using commonly used tools (Excel, Word, etc.).
- With proper training, conduct crop scouting and use aerial imagery for pest, disease, and different stresses.
- Assist in other ISA Research program areas as needed.
- Basic understanding of crop production and water quality
- Data collection and management
- Demonstrated initiative
- Attentive listening
- Oral and written communication
- Valid driver’s license required
This position requires frequent travel. Travel will generally be within Iowa using company vehicles and will normally be completed within normal business hours.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to work efficiently on individual and team projects.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- High level familiarity with farming practices, agricultural conservation, and water quality
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS), in progress or completed, with a focus in agriculture or environmental science.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in agronomy or environmental science and field data collection and analysis preferred.
- Understanding of production agriculture and agricultural conservation practices preferred.
This job operates in a professional office environment and field settings. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Much of the work will be outside in farm fields and other outdoor settings and may occasionally involve inclement weather. In some cases, the employee will be around large tractors and other agricultural equipment.