Southeastern Electric Cooperative, in the Sioux Falls, SD area, is looking for an Accountant. This non-exempt position maintains a complete and systematic set of subsidiary records and ledger accounts to record financial transactions of the system by performing the duties assigned in a manner which produces maximum economic and administrative efficiencies.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Set up and maintain other accounts receivable accounts, tax codes and necessary accounting.
- Verify and process other accounts receivable invoicing monthly including member loans, work for others, other member services, etc. Check past due accounts, send second notices and report status of past due balances.
- Process monthly ACH payments for long-term debt. Maintains subsidiary records of long-term debt.
- Maintain records of fixed assets and depreciation. Analyzes financial information detailing plant assets and depreciation.
- Verify and process annual kWh tax reports and file necessary forms with state.
- Reconcile monthly billing of consumer accounts and electric revenues.
- Check monthly reports, accounting and general ledger journal entries made from billing.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual state sales and excise tax reports.
- Record all deposit activity in the deposit management application of the accounting software package.
- Reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis to verify accuracy of deposits and withdrawals.
- Prepare schedules and supporting documents for auditors.
- Assist, as needed, with checking staking sheets to verify material charge outs and continuing property records. Import and verify work order data from staking software to application software. Compare work orders to staking sheets and makes necessary corrections.
- Assist with verification of payroll, transportation, material and all other applications that provide direct charges to work orders. Verify and process contribution-in-aid-of-construction.
- May assist with post-disaster declaration accounting and cost documentation for emergency management organizations.
- Monitor and summarize capitalized payments to contractors.
- Assist department heads in preparation and development of budget and annual work plans in relation to personnel, facilities, equipment and supplies as needed.
- Assist in answering telephone calls and general consumer inquiries.
- Strive for self-improvement of on-the-job skills.
- And more!
Here’s what you’ll need to be successful:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply seasoned judgement as necessary to complete tasks and projects timely and correctly with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience working with NISC (preferred).
- Excel and advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Possess a good command of the English language.
Here’s what will get you noticed:
- Demonstrated aptitude for strategic thinking
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication experience in effectively communicating key information to a wide range of both internal and external customers
Here’s what we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Life, LTD, STD, Retirement Plan, 401k Plan and AFLAC
- Employer HSA/HRA contributions
- Wellness Program Incentives
- Vacation, Sick and Holidays
Southeastern belongs to an alliance of more than 750 Touchstone Energy cooperatives in 46 states. Touchstone Energy provides a unified face for the small businesses that own and service rural America's 2.5 million miles of power line. By working jointly, this network of small co-ops generate services that would normally require the resources of a national corporation.
Touchstone Energy co-ops are owned by the members they serve and are committed to providing reliable electricity at the lowest price possible. In short, co-ops "look out" for the members they serve.
The Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Cooperative will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.